John, you have quite a task ahead of yourself.  Interesting idea pulling the data from the SVG.  I'm not sure I have any suggestions, actually a question.  I'm assuming that you will only have one shape in the SVG.  Or are you planning on calculating the lengths of all groups in the file?

A month or so ago I had experimented with a method of counting the number of nodes in a path and the number of paths(layers) in the file.  I found the EPS to be easier to work with.  Have you looked at it?  Good luck.  I'll be curious to see how it works.

Mike

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

There is a scientific app called Fiji which is a suped up imageJ this has measurement tools and can import SVG: http://fiji.sc

This is a link for ImageJ but Fiji would probably be a better option. https://imagej.nih.gov/ij/

iMac 27" Late 2015 Fully Loaded, iMac 27" Mid 2011 both running High Sierra 10.13.6 - Affinity Designer/Photo & Publisher - Illustrator CC, Inkscape, Blender, Sketchup, Pepakura Designer, MTC, Pixelmator & Pixelmator Pro + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9 B|  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

On 10/18/2019 at 10:29 PM, Gear maker said:

John, you have quite a task ahead of yourself.  Interesting idea pulling the data from the SVG.  I'm not sure I have any suggestions, actually a question.  I'm assuming that you will only have one shape in the SVG.  Or are you planning on calculating the lengths of all groups in the file?

A month or so ago I had experimented with a method of counting the number of nodes in a path and the number of paths(layers) in the file.  I found the EPS to be easier to work with.  Have you looked at it?  Good luck.  I'll be curious to see how it works.

Mike

The way I wrote the script was on the assumption that there would be more than one shape (path directives in svg). However I have not actually tried that. I will give it a go and see.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.7 and Designer 1.7, (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630