You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Another +1. I just recently discovered the whole suite, and am seriously considering moving away from Adobe CC because of it. Having GREP/RegEx styles in Publisher is a dealbreaker right now, though. I have one type of document I work with that is highly technical, and I have about 25-30 GREP styles (could probably reduce that if/when I get better at writing the styles), and I need to create/update hundreds of documents of this type. Find/Replace just isn't feasible for time reasons; it has to be baked into a style so it's all automatically applied.

I have to say, though, I did test out the expressions just by copy/pasting them from ID, and I really like the feature that lists all the matches in the sidebar. Makes it easier to see exactly how the RegEx statements are working - some of them are pretty complex.

If it can become a feature to have this not just be Find/Replace, but part of text styles, that may seal the deal for me to become an Affinity customer for the whole suite.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
On 11/22/2021 at 9:30 AM, PeteBXB said:

Just to keep this topic warm: "AFFINITY – DO YOU COPY?" 📢

Narrator: “They didn’t”.

Naturally, what isn’t crucial to the hobbyists, doesn’t get any attention from staff. I’m starting to get less and less surprised each time.

3 hours ago, J1ggl said:

Naturally, what isn’t crucial to the hobbyists, doesn’t get any attention from staff. I’m starting to get less and less surprised each time.

And it's surprising how advanced professionals like you are still here to waste their time!

• 3 months later...

I keep coming back to this topic, hoping to see movement on it. At work we still use Adobe, but at home I don’t. 

At work, I use GREP in styles Every. Single. Day. 

Many of my documents at home had GREP in styles built into them, back in the days when I used Adobe. All this was lost, coming to Affinity. Was moving to Affinity the right choice? Absolutely. Do I still wish GREP was implemented in styles. Absolutely. 

Any time you have repetitive, predictable, pattern-based formatting, that is a job for GREP in styles. Set and forget. Let the program do the mundane, allowing the human to focus on the parts the program cannot. 

• 2 months later...
8 hours ago, Chris Baird said:

Will grep be an update in V2?

Serif generally doesn't comment on future plans, so we're unlikely to know, unless it appears someday.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Hobbyists will more likely not use GREP styles, nor would they possibly understand how to use one. I regularly have documents that rely on "massaging" database generated text that comes in plain text. Back in my InDesign days I didn't even need to think about editing the document to massage the text. Now for EVERY document I get this way (monthly) I have to do five Find/Replace operations, manually typing in the grep commands for each one. It is a huge time waster! I always have to carefully check to see that I have typed in the expression correctly. The end result is the same as when I did things in InDesign, but my productivity has gone down big time.

Affinity is definitely the logical replacement for InDesign. Do I regret switching to Affinity? Not at all!!! I love using Affinity. I just wish that grep styles would be implemented, seeing that the first part of the issue is already implemented - mainly GREP. PLEASE PLEASE... Serif... Go the rest of the way and implement GREP styles. Those of us who would benefit from this improvement will rise up and call you blessed!

Finalement, c'est un peu l'éloge de la lenteur :)

in the end, it's little bit the praising slowness :)

Toujours pas !
Windows 10 Pro 21H2 - Intel Core i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz - 16 Gb Ram - GeForce GT 650M - Intel HD 4000
Affinity Photo | Affinity Designer | Affinity Publisher | 2