You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

About workspace modes/monitors

(Using Aff. Photo/Designer/Publisher)

Hi,

my Eizo CG 241W monitor 24" is a bit old. 10 years of use.

Trying to decide between another 24" (maybe two monitors) or a bigger 27".

The two monitors solution would be an Eizo graphic for documents in full screen + a much cheaper monitor (or the old one as long as it is working) just for panels and tool bars (workspace modes-separated mode)

The 27" is self explanatory (workspace modes-Normal mode)

What are your choices? 

Thanks for your feedback.

Regards.

I don't exactly understand what you are asking for. – Two 24" is more area the one 27". So the decision appears not to be a question to me.

1 hour ago, AT.HA said:

for panels and tool bars (workspace modes-separated mode)

The 27" is self explanatory (workspace modes-Normal mode) 

This sounds like a misunderstanding of you. In both modes, Normal AND Separated, you may arrange the panels on customized positions and sizes on any of the screens.

Unfortunately Affinity apps still are a bit buggy if using two monitors. That means you will have to repair your individual panel arrangements occasionally, for instance if you switch to a different app persona and come back or if you switch between "spaces" (as various desktops) within macOS. Then most panels seem to be outside of both screens and hard to get back. It happens not every time but sometimes, I could not detect a rule for this unexpected behavior.

I am working with a laptop and have the 2nd screen above the smaller laptop screen. The system menu bar and most panels are on the lower screen, the larger screen above shows the main document window, the tool bar, the tool panel and a few other panels. To be able to place the tool bar at the lower egde of the upper screen I need to work in separated mode. unfortunately every new document opens on the lower screen, behind the panels. Sometimes it does not work to toggle the UI (=hide panels) to gt access to the document window. Then I need to manually move the panels to achieve the window behind and move that onto the screen above. There I have to size it manually to fit to the according area.

Meanwhile I use a workaround if the panels get confused: I replace the preferences folder of the app by a copy I had stored somewhere else.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Thanks Thomaso for sharing your experience. 
Of course, two 24" monitors produce more than one 27" usable workspace; this is needless to mention. 
Maybe I did not explain everything in the first post. Eizo monitors are among the best on the market and not very cheap. With the price of one of EIZO's 27 "CG series, I buy one of 24" of the same excellent series and a second monitor (with a € 400.00 difference) just for tools in use. What I want to know is if the Serif applications already work well in this dual monitor mode. If there are serious problems that delay or make it impossible to work quickly and effectively, then a 27" solution is a better one, because 27" is more than I currently have I have (not a giant leap though); but with the assurance that works without problems.

On 7/6/2019 at 9:10 PM, AT.HA said:

Maybe I did not explain everything in the first post. (...)

What I want to know is if the Serif applications already work well in this dual monitor mode. If there are serious problems that delay or make it impossible to work quickly and effectively, then a 27" solution is a better one, because 27" is more than I currently have I have (not a giant leap though); but with the assurance that works without problems.

Didn't my post not answer especially this your "What I want to know" question?

Alternatively you could take a look in the Beta forums section with a search for "dual" / "two" / "external" / "second" + "screen" / "monitor".
An issue with two monitors came up during beta a few times only, and as far I remember it never has been commented by a moderator or logged yet.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1