You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

PNG export through Affinity Publisher 1.7.1 loses background image

Hi,

I exported Affinity Publisher file in PDF the file is fine and shows like the Affinity Publisher file looks.

I choose to export as PNG file then the background image disappears.

See screenshot of PDF shows the background and the actual PNG file that was the result of a PNG export from the actual Affinity Publisher 1.7.1 file then the background image is not there anymore. The image that disappears had an opacity of 9%.

I use an Apple Mac with Mojave operating system 10.14.5.

Work around is if I open the PDF created by Affinity Publisher and export this PDF file as a PNG, then PNG shows the background image, it is only when I export from actual Affinity Publisher file as a PNG file that background image disappears.

I look forward to a resolution to this.

Screenshot 2019-07-05 at 08.42.50.png

Yoga Zen Poster 2019 Final.png

Hi Pauls,

Uploads done as requested:

• PNG file.
  • Affinity Publisher file.

The images in poster are all embedded anyway, though all of the others display fine in PDF and PNG exports anyway.

Please note:

• That PNG file is not very visible at 9% opacity in Affinity Publisher when working on the document, though if you export as PDF you will see it, then as stated when exported as PNG then the PNG in document does not display at all.

Also please take account that this specific case where the PNG image with opacity of 9% in Affinity Publisher file not displaying when the whole poster is exported as PNG:

• Could happen when exporting as other file types.
  • Could occur if opacity "changed" of other images in this Affinity Publisher document, as all the other embedded image have 100% opacity.

Thanks for showing interest in this issue. May a way be found to fix this issue and may it be fixed.

• Staff

I think this may be down to a colour preference setting as you are working in mixed colour spaces. Try checking "Preferences, Colour, Convert opened files to working space" and re-embedding the file. Then the document and exports should match up a lot better.

• 1 month later...

Hi Pauls,

Thank you for comment. I actually had a similar thing happen when I created a book cover, it looked fine on screen and then when I chose to export as PDF the background image was a lot more transparent than when I looked at it on screen. The JPEG export appeared to show image correctly, matched what the Publisher file looked like on screen without any changes to settings.

+ I have appeared to resolve issue in book cover Affinity Publisher file by "ungrouping" background image layer (it appeared to possibly be grouped potentially with an opacity 30% effect layer) and then I adjusted opacity again of image once it was ungrouped, then export of the book cover in PDF was in line with what I saw on screen. A difference is this time the the ungrouped image opacity was about 50% to match opacity of how image looked when it was grouped at 30% opacity.

See attached book cover to "recreate" scenario if you want:

+ First, export exactly as document is in PDF, you will see opacity is a lot more than when you look at original Affinity Publisher file on screen

+ Second, export to get exported PDF to match what is seen on screen in Affinity Publisher of file, select to ungroup background image layer, the opacity resets to full opacity, then click on image to adjust opacity, to get same effect it is about 50%, then export and the exported PDF will match what you see Affinity Publisher file looks like in Affinity Publisher.

I am very happy to have found a resolution to this.

The main issue I had basically is that when I exported in PDF, the PDF did not look like what the original Affinity Publisher file looked like on screen in Affinity Publisher. Doing the ungroup and reapply opacity solution has resolved this for me.

I will post in forum if this issue occurs again.

Thanks for a great responsive forum.

AGT cover-gmtd-July 2019-v2(c).afpub