You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

But yep, ask him the favor of having a look at it....

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

Ok thanks. I'll give it a shot. I took the cooler off and reapplied paste wanting to see if that helped the thermals. But I didn't get back together. The stock cooler is misaligned with the holes in the backplate so only 3 of the 4 screws screw in. 

I'm done with that thing because I did it the first time and both times yesterday it wouldn't align either. So I'm picking up an AIO from Best buy that just clips in. There are tightening screws, but they are secondary to the clip that just works. I was looking at air coolers, but Best Buy only caries this Corsair h100i pro and I don't want to wait for shipping for an air tower that may or may not fit in the case and doesn't let my RAM fit...

(I have learned my lesson though, never buying a super budget case again, mobo hole off by 1 mm, just enough to cause trouble, and the cable management holes barely let me work with them. Now, I have to try to get a cooler that fits the case.)

well, then hurry up, Antarctica and the Arctic are getting warmer as we speak, no joke (sorry for the OT, just impacted by the TV footage the other day with all that ice turned into water, that pretty nasty recent finding). 

The thermal paste and the aligning, that should have worked, ask your friend help there,, and mount the entire thing as a whole for once -I mean, hoping he knows the stuff. Or carry it to a place where people are savvy about hardware-, I believe there is still some mounting gone wrong, that cpu is way cooler by all stats I have.

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

Ok. I'll take it I  today. Then I'll be through with the mess and have a working machine. It IS fast though! I got 86mb/s transfers onto a SLOW external hdd from a sdxc uhs2 card. That's 2 or 3 times the speed my laptop did! 1gb in like 10 seconds! 

Thanks for your help. I will take it in cause I'm obviously missing something and I need to have the thing fixed so I can stop worrying and concentrate on math... 

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the late reply. I took it in to him and he seemed to think it was fine. He got all the drivers and stuff set up too, so that's good. 

I've been slowly transferring files to a new 8tb external drive and to an online backup place. It's slow, but not the computer's fault and is almost over. Once the photos are off the old drives, I can put a few on the internal drive and edit, then put them back. 

Thank you for all the advice and help. I really appreciate it!

BTW, is there a good resource you've found for Affinity photo tutorials? I mean specific youtube channels etc. I have the book, but haven't looked at it yet...