You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Both beta and mas version crashing a lot on launch, zoom bar not appearing

• Staff

Hi,

I've responded to your other thread about the zoom slider.

Is it only the beta that crashes on launch? Again it might be useful if you clarify what MacOS you are on.

Do you have a crash report to attach?

Thanks

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

• Staff

Is the following crash report one that happened when the app ran up, or when it was open for a while?

It might be worth holding down CTRL whilst running the app to reset it, but I'm not convinced it will do anything.

What hardware are you running the software on, screen res, etc?

Does the bar appear in the same place regardless of which picture you use?

10 hours ago, Jon P said:

Is the following crash report one that happened when the app ran up, or when it was open for a while?

The crash report was when it crashed on startup. I run this on a 2017 5K iMac at what I am sure is it's default resolution as I don't remember needing to change it for any reason. The bar moves to different places, the left side of picture, the right side, nowhere.

• Staff

Can you upload Cascade Logo 2010.ai and IGP2951.tiff to the above dropbox folder? I have the other 2 tiff's  and re-linked them but want to ensure I have the other 2 images too, as the crash report is crashing in an area of code related to TIFF's, so it might help me reproduce the crash.

14 hours ago, Jon P said:

Can you upload Cascade Logo 2010.ai and IGP2951.tiff to the above dropbox folder? I have the other 2 tiff's  and re-linked them but want to ensure I have the other 2 images too, as the crash report is crashing in an area of code related to TIFF's, so it might help me reproduce the crash.

I sent those two files to Serif Affinity Support Dropbox.

10 hours ago, Jon P said:

I'm still struggling to reproduce a crash with this file, if you re-link the resources in Resource Manager does it help?

One option would be to re-link it on my laptop (which generally doesn't crash) and then try to open that on the iMac. Has this fixed the problems for others? I know others have reported crashes but I haven't followed those threads all that closely.

@Jon P I just did a quick and dirty remake of the file on the iMac using all the same files and things seem to be working so far. Even the zoom bar works and is in the right place. I wonder if the other file an elements copied over from an InDesign file? This file is based on a design from an InDesign file (I was trying to see if I could bring it over to Publisher so I could pass this around to some of the non-designers at my company.) At the moment the only elements that came from another app is the barcode from Printworks and the images were exported from Capture One I think. It seems like if the other file was crashing this would should crash to since it is probably the same exact thing. So anyways I re-linked it like you said.

• Staff

If the zoom bar being out of place was related to that file specifically I would expect to see it myself here, but it's interesting it appeared in the correct place when re-creating the file. If you open it on the MacBook and embed all the resources instead of linking, do you no longer get any crashing behaviour?

Also when moving it over to the macbook and it didn't crash, did you get warned of missing resources?

20 hours ago, Jon P said:

Also when moving it over to the macbook and it didn't crash, did you get warned of missing resources?

I have so many different versions of the file at this point I have lost track of which one should be getting the warning message for missing resources.

20 hours ago, Jon P said:

If you open it on the MacBook and embed all the resources instead of linking, do you no longer get any crashing behaviour?

It always crashed just on the iMac but did you mean embed everything on the MacBook and then bring it over to the iMac to see if it crashes?

On 7/15/2019 at 2:04 AM, Jon P said:

If you open it on the MacBook and embed all the resources instead of linking, do you no longer get any crashing behaviour?

I just opened the embedded file on the iMac that has crashing and it stopped crashing!! This goes for both MAS and beta. With this file it may work since I don't swap out the images much/ever but I wonder about other files that may work better linked. Hopefully you can figure out what is wrong with the linking as well. Interesting how easy it is to switch between linked and embedded. I plan to pass this file around between employees, maybe it would be better to give them one big file with embedded images instead of a bunch of linked files. It will use some of the same files over and over again which was why I linked it to begin with.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.