You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Image inverted (negative) after crash + changed linked images in Mac folder

MCM

Hello! I'm experiencing a problem with Affinity Publisher 1.7 (launch version no Beta upgrade), using Mac OS Sierra 10.12.6

Last night, I was working on a few opened document within the App (probably not recommended I know!) One of the doc I was working on stopped responding. I could not come back to the Move tool after using Text tool. I did not think too much of it and continued successfully to work on my other docs. I completed some and was able to save, export in PDF without any problem until I came back this morning to work on that still unresponsive doc (after a whole night). Not responding I tried to close it and then the whole program crashed. I reopened Publisher and a popup asked me if to re-open the docs which shut down unexpectedly (sorry I don't have the exact message it displayed) which I accepted.

When reopening the docs, one displayed perfectly, one suddenly had an image in black and white and another image missing completely and another much bigger file (with many photos) had all the photos displaying as "inverted", like old negative rolls on old cameras (see image). ALL the photos were like that in the entire doc. When I went to the Resource Manager, it said images were "linked" rather than "embedded", I might have changed that the day before since there were so many photos (I read in another post it might be good to link instead). In there, all thumbnails were exactly like the photos, "inverted". When I went in my computer's folder to link back to the original images, a whole bunch of inverted photos were there as "duplicates" of my original photos and named whatever name Publisher gives it in that manager (file name - #of image)!! Fortunately, my original images are still there!

Can you please help me figure out why all my images in an opened document were changed to their "negative" inverted images after the program crashed so it doesn't happen again? and if there is a quicker way to change these images than doing it one by one? Like in InD one can relink 1 image and it will automatically see other images from this same location and ask if you want to re-link other images. But because the names of the images are changed from the originals in Resource Manager, it can't identify them as such.

Sorry for my lack of technical jargon and long explanation, as you can probably tell, I'm not a techie nor a graphic designer! So thank you for keeping the answer understandable with very basic terms and clear directions on where to go and what to click ;) The answer might be very simple for all I know :)

Thank you!

Screen Shot 2019-07-05 at 17.57.15.png

Screen Shot 2019-07-05 at 17.57.03.png

Screen Shot 2019-07-05 at 19.26.56.png

Edited by MCM

• Staff

@MCM

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :)

We are going to need the Publisher file (or a page of it that includes some of the inverted images copy pasted to a new document) and one or two of the linked JPG files please. Curious that it thinks they are CMYK linked JPG files. Can you attach them to a post here please?

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Thank you for your quick reply :)

Here is the file (copy of one page) and one image that the Publisher has created in my finder folder. However, I somehow cannot attach the original image, I get a 200 error message when trying to upload it... Is it that my file is too big? It's 13.5MB. I've always attached the original images in high resolution to my InD docs, but could that be a problem?

Thanks for your help,

for Affinity testing.afpub

Brochure 2019-2020- new 27_1.jpg

• Staff

I think these will be enough, we will provide a Dropbox link next week if we need more, thanks

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• Staff

Where did the CMYK .JPG files come from please?

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

• Staff

Very helpful, thanks. Do they all look ok in any other apps you have?

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

They looked ok in Publisher when I imported them initially and now that I relinked them they are ok too.... it's only after the crash that they suddenly changed! The thing that puzzles me the most is how did the app "create" files in my finder folder on my mac ? That seems VERY strange!