You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I am very confused about printing. It doesn't make sense. Is there a tutorial on printing basics for Affinity Photo. I am very proficient on Photoshop but am finding it difficult to find my icc paper or how to create a profile for a certain paper. some presets appear from my photoshop printing but I don't see my list of papers until I go to Soft Proof. If i select a paper there and then select "Add Preset", that preset doesn't appear anywhere that I can see. any help would be a big help. thanks

C.

Ok some questions first for clarity:

Exactly what paper are you looking for to print on?  I will know if this is a default paper or comes with your printer?

What printer do you have?

You can not create profiles for your paper unless you have a spectrometer, you have to send a print away to a colour profile company.  These are not expensive at all.

Presets?  Exactly what presets are you referring to when you say 'appear from my photoshop"  is it your printer dialogue in PS or your PS drop down menu while you are editing or where?

Are you on mac or windows?

Are you talking about seeing your papers in Photoshop printing or AfPhoto's printing dialogue?  The former I can help with.

Microsoft - Like entering your home and opening the stainless steel kitchen door, with a Popup: 'Do you really want to open this door'? Then looking for the dishwasher and finding it stored in the living room where you have to download a water supply from the app store, then you have to buy microsoft compliant soap, remove the carpet only to be told that it is glued to the floor.. Don't forget to make multiple copies of your front door key and post them to all who demand access to all the doors inside your home including the windows and outside shed.

Apple - Like entering your home and opening the oak framed Kitchen door and finding the dishwasher right in front you ready to be switched on, soap supplied, and water that comes through a water softener.  Ah the front door key is yours and it only needs to open the front door.

i have a canon pixma pro 100  Red River Premium Matte Plus paper. on an iMac, Presets image attached. In soft proof I see "Add Preset", cllick on a paper (which includes all I had in Photoshop) I name the preset and then i never see it again listed anywhere so I have no clue as to what that is about. -- I'm talking about AFPhoto. I go to file print and I see presets from Photoshop that I have set up for various papers and sizes.

Screen Shot 2019-07-05 at 6.42.01 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-07-05 at 6.43.21 PM.png

I am afraid I can't help you here because I do not have AfPhoto.  I may well be wrong, I think, but my guess is that I find it strange if AfPhoto' Presets in your print dialogue has anything to do with choosing/telling the printer the type of paper you are printng on, otherwise it would read 'printer profile'.  The soft proof box with its preset option makes no sense to me.  The terminology here is just not common terminology in the print/paper/icc environment that I have been used to.  Mainly because Soft proofing papers are added automatically when you add custom ICC profiles or printer papers or printer drivers that include their bespoke papers.  that printer presets option surely must have something to do with setting up a custom print environment so that you do not have to keep setting up print conditions every time you print with those same conditions with same paper and sizes etc?  Why you have merge delete and reset in a soft proofing environment is an absolute mystery to me

I could not find a single tutorial on this aspect of afphoto either.

Microsoft - Like entering your home and opening the stainless steel kitchen door, with a Popup: 'Do you really want to open this door'? Then looking for the dishwasher and finding it stored in the living room where you have to download a water supply from the app store, then you have to buy microsoft compliant soap, remove the carpet only to be told that it is glued to the floor.. Don't forget to make multiple copies of your front door key and post them to all who demand access to all the doors inside your home including the windows and outside shed.

Apple - Like entering your home and opening the oak framed Kitchen door and finding the dishwasher right in front you ready to be switched on, soap supplied, and water that comes through a water softener.  Ah the front door key is yours and it only needs to open the front door.

Hi @cburgamy

The Soft Proof layer in your first screen grab is used to check if your image will print they way you would like, it is turned off or deleted before you print. It follows the same layout as the other adjustment layers for presets, these presets can be found by clicking the adjustment button at the very bottom of your layers panel. In the case of soft proofing they are redundant and even if you save a preset they do disappear, the presets can be very useful for other adjustment layers such as LUTs Gradient Maps or complex curves. The only downside to using these presets is they can not be exported for safe keeping.

To get to your ICC profiles in your printer dialogue box you need to go to the Range and Scale box and change it to show Colour Matching, then click ColorSync, your ICC profiles will now show up below. When you have made all of your adjustments in the printer driver you can save them by navigating to the presets box and choose save current settings as preset.

12 hours ago, Chris26 said:

that printer presets option surely must have something to do with setting up a custom print environment

Well, I'm in the mood for a waffle and don't get me wrong I think Affinity is a great product - so ignore as appropriate. :) Within the technical writing environment one of the first fundemental concepts you must learn is consistency in the use of terminology.  Can you just imagine the poor submariners in submarine sonar operations if the on/off button on a sonar was labelled on one sub: Sonar, on another Echo location switch, on yet another Bounce Control, yet another Rebound Knob, and yet another Ping Activation?   Presets really does have a definitive concept a little removed from Printer Profile, or Paper Profile.  Well, as I said, just a waffle a thought a moment's reflection. 

It took some time to get use to the fact that all adjustment layer boxes where the "X" is top right always meant "Apply"  as opposed to 'Cancel' in practically all software products that I have used to date,  Now this is not a complaint, No no no -  I am just curious as to why sometimes this nice piece of software often throws you with its re-defining moments of software symbolism and terminology?  Ah well, back to work, caffeine injection finished, and sorry cBurgamy if I did not help you.

3 hours ago, cburgamy said:

I see the Color Sync under Color Matching and was able to find the profile. Not intuitive to me but it works and I will remember the drill

You have to blame Apple for that one :), I have to admit that when I moved to Macs from Windows at home I found the print dialogue a real pain, its all there just buried in the various dropdown fields, keeping things nice & tidy on screen :)

3 hours ago, Alfred said:

Be my guest, Chris! :D

Ah Alfred, I downloaded and took a big 320 x 123.5 Pixel bite (that was exactly half of this waffle), it was delicious.

1 hour ago, Murfee said:

You have to blame Apple for that one

No one blames Apple and gets away with it!:40_rage:

1 hour ago, Murfee said:

Yes but I also said it was keeping things neat & tidy on screen :10_wink: :)

Ah yes, Mmm... my verocity and rage blinded me to that positive comment at the end. :/

10 hours ago, Chris26 said:

It took some time to get use to the fact that all adjustment layer boxes where the "X" is top right always meant "Apply"  as opposed to 'Cancel' in practically all software products that I have used to date ...

I'm in the mood for a bit of a waffle, too. :P

It is a window, not a box. The X neither applies nor cancels anything; it just closes the window ... just like in almost all other software.

Try it for yourself. Choose an Adjustment from the popup at the bottom of the Layers panel, or from the Layer > New Adjustment Layer menu item. All except Invert open a window where adjustment parameters can be set as desired. You don't need to change any setting or close the window.  As soon as the Adjustment is chosen, its layer is added to the document.

It is the same with Live Filter layers. Neither layer type needs an apply or cancel button because they are non-destructive -- you can delete them at any time, or hide or move them around in the layer stack, etc.

Compare that to regular, destructive Filters. Because they are destructive, they have Cancel & Apply buttons, & choosing either one closes their window.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

10 hours ago, R C-R said:

It is a window, not a box.

Ah I hate these types of conversations;) where some smarter than you alec comes along and upsets your morning coffee break with a pedantic stream of literary correctness. Its got 4 sides, and four 90 degree angles - its a box9_9

Now what other defences can I muster against this electrically charged super brain at my doorsteps,

10 hours ago, R C-R said:

The X neither applies nor cancels anything; it just closes the window

Ah yes, now this one is so annoying you know, closes cancels potatoes potartoes.......Mmm....let me think....Ah yes, I open the Box   whoops sorry Window.....I make a change, but then yes but then I decide NOT to go ahead with that change.......dear me......what do I do now......Oh....I simply click on the X and Close/Cancel/Nullify/Disengage/desist from furter action and Majic, no harm done. Phew, I was lucky there. (A scream is heard from the oak desk in the office)........ Ah Sh1t......he screeches to himself between slurps of hot coffee and a chocolate crumb dropping from the corner of his mouth....Affinity Has decided to apply that change.....AAAAAAAhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.............

25 minutes ago, Chris26 said:

Affinity Has decided to apply that change...

Well, if you have selected a Live Filter or Live Adjustment then it will. If you don't like it you can do a Ctrl-Z or delete the layer. Or of course, you could go back to that Layer and re-adjust the parameters.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

1 hour ago, John Rostron said:

Well, if you have selected a Live Filter or Live Adjustment then it will. If you don't like it you can do a Ctrl-Z or delete the layer. Or of course, you could go back to that Layer and re-adjust the parameters.

John

I really hope you realise, from about 10 posts before this one, that this was in no way a complaint?  It was simply a humorous observation.

1 hour ago, Chris26 said:

.I make a change, but then yes but then I decide NOT to go ahead with that change.......dear me......what do I do now......Oh....I simply click on the X and Close/Cancel/Nullify/Disengage/desist from furter action and Majic, no harm done.

Nope. The change (the creation of the new layer) occurs as soon as you select an adjustment or live filter. If you just close the window, that new layer does not vanish. To cancel/delete/whatever while the window is open, like @Murfee's graphic pointedly shows (see what I did there?), use the Delete button.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

X  has always meant Close Window/box without applying changes in every piece of software from China to the Azores.:)

CurveX.png.66f578e670427bb4db8346b883d32bc6.png

Ha Ha .... that is just a method of closing the window, if you really want rid of something then Delete is your friend :D Maybe change the label to "Get Rid Of This Now" :4_joy:

Before anyone complains, this is just for fun :)

Get Rid of This Now.png

Edited by Murfee
Added A graphic

1 hour ago, Murfee said:

Ha Ha .... that is just a method of closing the window

I want to annoy RCR....It's a BOX