You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Selecting nodes by area(dragging)

On 7/6/2019 at 4:59 AM, ashf said:

Also would be nice if I could select nodes without selecting object first.

If you were able to select nodes without specifying an object then what object are you editing? You can edit nodes across objects by selecting multiple objects then the nodes desired. Perhaps with the node tool selected it could default to selecting nodes from any objects affected in this same manner - e.g. if you do a marquee or polygonal select then all nodes from any objects encompassed would be selected for edits; but if you click an object then only nodes from that object are available for selection. Personally, I don't have any problem with the current system and find selection a lot easier and more reliable in Affinity than I do in Illustrator.

Windows 7 & 10 64-bit, Dual Xeon workstation(s) 64gb RAM, and single i7 laptop 32gb RAM

12 minutes ago, AndyQ said:

If you were able to select nodes without specifying an object then what object are you editing? You can edit nodes across objects by selecting multiple objects then the nodes desired. Perhaps with the node tool selected it could default to selecting nodes from any objects affected in this same manner - e.g. if you do a marquee or polygonal select then all nodes from any objects encompassed would be selected for edits; but if you click an object then only nodes from that object are available for selection. Personally, I don't have any problem with the current system and find selection a lot easier and more reliable in Affinity than I do in Illustrator.

I understand what you say, but may be because I'm used to Illustrator.
Also it will reduce a step so it's often quicker than Affinity way.
Maybe a key modifier to trigger this would be good I think.(like holding Cmd/Ctrl key)

7 hours ago, ashf said:

....so it's often quicker than Affinity way. Maybe a key modifier to trigger this would be good I think.(like holding Cmd/Ctrl key)

I've always found the Illustrator way more time consuming - if I've got lots of objects it's a pain selecting and locking them and/or locking layers just to select a few points to edit on a specific object.  I reckon Affinity have got this the right way around - you can select nodes from multiple objects, but you need to indicate that's what you want to do by making an multi-object selection.  I guess it's something you'd want to get a group opinion about if you were only going to allow one method, although other drawing apps are similar to the Affinity approach. As you say, there's no reason not to allow for multiple approaches. I'd personally put a checkbox in the "Context Toolbar" - that seems the logical place for me (e.g. "select nodes across objects" checkbox, which would put it into that Illustrator-like mode).

Windows 7 & 10 64-bit, Dual Xeon workstation(s) 64gb RAM, and single i7 laptop 32gb RAM

1 hour ago, AndyQ said:

I've always found the Illustrator way more time consuming - if I've got lots of objects it's a pain selecting and locking them and/or locking layers just to select a few points to edit on a specific object.  I reckon Affinity have got this the right way around - you can select nodes from multiple objects, but you need to indicate that's what you want to do by making an multi-object selection.  I guess it's something you'd want to get a group opinion about if you were only going to allow one method, although other drawing apps are similar to the Affinity approach. As you say, there's no reason not to allow for multiple approaches. I'd personally put a checkbox in the "Context Toolbar" - that seems the logical place for me (e.g. "select nodes across objects" checkbox, which would put it into that Illustrator-like mode).

It seems you're doing it wrong :D

By double-clicking any object in Illustrator, you isolate the object, any other objects dim out and you're editing just the object you want to work on - no locking, no nothing necessary. Then you can edit isolated object as you wish. To exit just press Esc key or double-click anywhere outside the isolated object. Just fyi.

Edit: Also this https://www.webucator.com/how-to/how-use-isolation-mode-adobe-illustrator.cfm

9 hours ago, CLC said:

It seems you're doing it wrong :D

Doh! Yeah, I did kinda know that but rarely do it...double clicking on the Wacom usually ends up single-clicking and moving the object before the second click registers (shaky hands?), then you gotta "release" the object from that isolation mode; it's a bit clunky for me ergonomically. I'm also drawing vectors in so many different applications (3DS MAX, Blender, CorelDraw, AI/AE/PS/INDD, various video/FX apps) that I'm a master of none (and have just taken the plunge on the Affinity suite and am still in testing/learning mode). 

23 hours ago, AndyQ said:

double clicking on the Wacom usually ends up single-clicking and moving the object before the second click registers

Same problem here, I have the pen's button set for a double click. Depending on the tablet you may have buttons on it and you can set one to a double click there.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• Staff
On 7/5/2019 at 7:47 PM, ashf said:

I would be nice if I could select nodes by area like Adobe Illustrator.
Selecting one by one is pain sometimes.

You can already marquee select nodes from the currently selected object, by starting a drag operation outside of the object.

You can also start a lasso selection by holding Alt/Option before you start dragging.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

• Staff

Unfortunately, that's not the way we roll....

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

• 4 months later...