You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Text Rulers Do Not Show

I have had this problem with Publisher from the first beta until the first production (1.7.1). The text ruler will not always show. I can turn on and off the view text rule to my heart's content, but many times the ruler does not display. It makes it much harder to set tabs without it.

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017)
Processors: 3.8 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory: 24 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580 8 GB

Screen Shot 2019-07-05 at 12.31.26 PM.png

No Text Ruler.afpub

Macbook Pro 13 (Mid 2010) - Web Designer

From your screen shot I don't think you have either Text Tool chosen. That is one of two things necessary for the Text Ruler to show the other is there must be a text frame chosen.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

32 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

From your screen shot I don't think you have either Text Tool chosen. That is one of two things necessary for the Text Ruler to show the other is there must be a text frame chosen.

I have just found the same thing.  I tried with both a new document and an "open recent" document, created a new text frame with the Text tool, clicked inside the test frame with the Text Tool, and the Text Ruler is not there, although it is checked in the VIEW>Show Text Ruler.   The Rulers are there, but the text rulers have vanished.   This is something new with this Beta.   Worked perfectly with v. 1.7.1 and most of the previous Betas.  

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

I can't not see the text rulers unless I switch to Photo or Designer Personas.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• Staff

Oh dear. I seem to remember they are zoom dependent, but this is not the right behaviour. 

10 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

I can't not see the text rulers unless I switch to Photo or Designer Personas.

Sounds like the exact opposite of what was intended!

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

2 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

I did have the text tool selected before I did the screenshot. It was not there. I restarted Publisher and the ruler showed up.

Macbook Pro 13 (Mid 2010) - Web Designer

I, too, am having this problem with the text rules needed for setting/adjusting tabs. It is always there in the first document I open after launching Publisher. After that, I can never get them to appear again ... until I quit Publisher and relaunch. The it's there, but only for the first document. I can replicate this to my heart's content, and frustration. At least Publisher does not take as long to launch as InDesign. Sigh. Please fix!

I have watched the video on how to set tabs several times and done exactly as directed. But the second document opened will not bring up the tab ruler.

Edited by Becky O
to add more

And now they do.  Today.  First I checked again today with the release v.1.7.1 to be sure that the text rulers show. They do. Then with v.1.7.1 minimized on my dock, I opened the Customer Beta.   Started a New Document, selected the text frame tool, dragged a text frame, and voilà!  There was the text ruler where it is supposed to be.   Unlike Friday, when it was nowhere to be found.  Closed that document, and opened a Recent Document, selected the text frame tool, clicked inside an existing text frame, and voilà again. Text Ruler, just as it should be.

I have no clue what this means, except that I did not do any uninstall, reinstall, or Control + Start (?) things first.  Maybe all the Beta needed to do was to settle into its new home?  Anyway, I hope this may help sort out the issue.   Seems to be random. 

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

I tried to replicate what was being experienced and discussed here and also found it quirky at times on why the text rulers would show up and then not. Best I could replicate when the rulers were not there was to double-click within the text box and then the rulers showed up every time. Deleted document, quit app and tried again several times and when they were not initially present, it worked and they appeared each time I double-clicked within the text box. (I didn't need to double-click every time, only when, for whatever reason, the rulers were not appearing.)

Done quite a bit with 1.7.1 and 1.7.2 beta and have had no issue with text rulers. High Sierra, 2017 iMac i5.

--------------------

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020 i7 72GB) • AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB • macOS Sonoma
MacBook Pro, 13", M1 2020 • 16 GB • macOS Sonoma
iPad Air 2022

• Staff

If someone is still able to constantly reproduce this it would be interesting to know if doing a reset on the app (hold CTRL whilst running up) fixes it. I've had a look today and not had any luck getting them to appear on multiple documents if the text tool is active when inside a frame.

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

I continue to have the issue. I tried doing a reset as suggested above, but it did not help. Also tried double clicking inside the text frame. No luck with that either. The only way I can get the text box rulers back after the first document is to restart the app.

2010 iMac, Sierra 10.12.6, Publisher 1.7.1

• 4 weeks later...

Interestingly, after going from the latest beta to the Affinity Store final 1.7.2 update, I also lost the text rulers on new and old documents. I quit the app and restarted which gave me back the text rulers, but odd they disappeared with the final version update. I'll have to watch if they disappear again.

--------------------

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020 i7 72GB) • AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB • macOS Sonoma
MacBook Pro, 13", M1 2020 • 16 GB • macOS Sonoma
iPad Air 2022