You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Photo 1.7 - Raw Files Way Too Dark when opened.

When I open a Raw File with Photo 1.7, the files open in a condition that is way too dark.  They only work around is to "Develop", then export, and then re-open as a jpg.  Raw processing is difficult, if not impossible because the image is too dark.  Any ideas what my problem could be here?  I have enclosed an example.  Please note if I open the same file in Serif Photoplus X8 it is fine.

IMG_4098.CR2

Example_Dark_Raw_File.docx

43 minutes ago, Sailorstu said:

When I open a Raw File with Photo 1.7, the files open in a condition that is way too dark.  They only work around is to "Develop", then export, and then re-open as a jpg.  Raw processing is difficult, if not impossible because the image is too dark.  Any ideas what my problem could be here?  I have enclosed an example.  Please note if I open the same file in Serif Photoplus X8 it is fine.

IMG_4098.CR2

Example_Dark_Raw_File.docx

Hi Sailorstu, you are using 32bit HDR mode in the develop module, it is perfectly normal for your files to open quite dark in this mode, if you adjust the exposure slider to the right the image lightens up very well. You might prefer to switch to 16bit mode, you can do this without an image open by going to the assistant button, in your screenshot it is the button to the left of the magnet, when open click the develop button and change the mode from 32bit to 16bit. The next raw file should open lighter, you can go to the assistant while in the develop persona and toggle the use tone curve to see if you prefer it on or off. 

I have never used Photoplus but I suspect it is using 16bit with a tone curve applied, you can achieve the same in Affinity Photo if you change your settings.

You can carry on with any adjustments after developing, you don’t need to export and reopen the jpg.

I am having the exact same problem. It is so frustrating. Everything was fine until the latest version.  I tried switching to the 16bit but it doesn't make much difference. I did not have to adjust exposure sliders in the prior versions and now have to.  Can the software be fixed back to prior versions.  From looking at the forums and doing a search it seems others having issues too.