You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Drag and move bug with selections

Hi guys, I'm trying to move a selection while i'm dragging it but it's not working. The "help line" says: Drag + ⌘ to move layer with selection. I do it but nothing is happening. Neather if I try to use the "photoshop method" with the space bar, which works with the pen tool in Affinity :35_thinking:

• Staff

Hey Nekodificador,

You need to ⌘ + Drag which is contrary to what the status bar says. I think there's a reason we write it this way but I can't remember! I'll find out! 

Simple test:

1. Drop two rectangles to make 2 separate layers

2. Drag out a selection

3. ⌘ + Drag over the selection

4. You will notice that the layer highlighted in the Layers Panel will move

2 minutes ago, Chris B said:

Hey Nekodificador,

You need to ⌘ + Drag which is contrary to what the status bar says. I think there's a reason we write it this way but I can't remember! I'll find out! 

Simple test:

1. Drop two rectangles to make 2 separate layers

2. Drag out a selection

3. ⌘ + Drag over the selection

4. You will notice that the layer highlighted in the Layers Panel will move

Oooooh ok! Now I understand. So ⌘ + Drag let me move the content inside the selection without switching to move tool. That's right?

So, my question now is... there is a way to move the selection while i'm creating it?

• Staff

Hey Nekodificador,

The video was spot on and I know exactly what you mean!

All you need to do to transform a selection is to enter Quick Mask mode (press Q), change to the Move Tool and scale/rotate/skew the selection dragging the bounding box control handles.

So it's not quite as simple or quick as holding Space to move it but you can achieve the same results. Perhaps this is something we could look at improving (though I am sure we do have improvement requests for this already).

On 7/8/2019 at 9:38 AM, Chris B said:

Hey Nekodificador,

The video was spot on and I know exactly what you mean!

All you need to do to transform a selection is to enter Quick Mask mode (press Q), change to the Move Tool and scale/rotate/skew the selection dragging the bounding box control handles.

So it's not quite as simple or quick as holding Space to move it but you can achieve the same results. Perhaps this is something we could look at improving (though I am sure we do have improvement requests for this already).

Ooh now I see. Wow this is so powerful. I tried to apply filters and it works on quick mask mode. So we can transform perspective of a selection before we apply it, for example. Awesome.