You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Question on Pen/Node Tool - New user here!

Hi there,

I'm a new user of Affinity Design and pracitising drawing with the pen/node tool..Help needed please..

How do I draw lines onto already drafted lines and connect them? For example, as in the attached image,

I have two lines and I want to insert a line joining these 2 lines..They should be connected to both lines. When I click on the middle point of the first line and the second line, it draws a line but it is not connected to those lines. Join or close curve is not connecting them..Please let me know how to achieve this? Thank you!

UDZmi0.jpg

It is not possible in designerto connect lines this way, you can select the three lines and group them.

intel core i5,  16GB 128Gb ssd win10 Pro Huion new 1060plus.

philips 272p 2560x1440px on intel HD2500 onboard graphics

Razer Tartarus Chroma

1 hour ago, SpongeBob said:

but it is not connected to those lines

Affinity does not support path branching, only one start and one end.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

Oh!

Is there a way in AD to make a compound path and retain the shapes drawn? The Create compound in AD is not working for what I want to draft..

I need to constantly change shapes from existing ones and make new designs, so any feature that ll help me achieve this is vital..

3 minutes ago, haakoo said:

Menu>Layer>Geometry>merge curves may do the trick

The curves stop being "independent" and are sort of getting grouped together( in the layers panel) but the nodes are still separate and are not merged.

23 hours ago, SpongeBob said:

Even if it doesn't merge the nodes, this option does make it easier to grab the curves instead of selecting them individually before moving them..

Since Affinity Designer (& most other vector creation & editing apps) do not allow path branching, perhaps consider this from the perspective of what you want to be able to do with the path? So for example, if you really really need the shape to be one continuous open path, you could do it by retracing part of the path, like in this one path.afdesign example.

1151505785_onepath.jpg.4e1a8eada20b94200a46480a8de56631.jpg

Edited by R C-R
added screenshot

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

9 hours ago, R C-R said:

Since Affinity Designer (& most other vector creation & editing apps) do not allow path branching, perhaps consider this from the perspective of what you want to be able to do with the path? So for example, if you really really need the shape to be one continuous open path, you could do it by retracing part of the path, like in this one path.afdesign example.

I checked it out, yes it will be useful in some instances for me, thank you!