• Staff

Purpose: Improvements, Fixes
Requirements: Purchased Affinity Publisher
Mac App Store: Not submitted
Download: Download
Auto-update: Not Applicable

---

Hi,

We are pleased to announce that the first customer beta of Affinity Publisher (1.7.2.420) is now available as a download from the link above. Build 420 has replaced Build 419 which has been withdrawn.

If this is your first time using a customer beta of an Affinity app please note that the beta will install as a separate app alongside your store version. They will not interfere with each other at all and you can continue to use the store version for critical work without worry.

The beta is an incremental update to the 1.7.1 store version. We recommend that you use this beta in preference to your store version if you are affected by any of the issues listed below.

If you have any problems using this version please make a new topic in this forum and we'll get back to you as soon as we can. Please feel free to leave general suggestions and comments in the Discussion Forum.

---

StudioLink

StudioLink in this Beta requires Beta versions of Designer and Photo to function. We are hoping a Designer Beta will become available for macOS soon.

---

Fixes and Improvements

Import / Export

• DocX import using File > Place was ignoring styles if no frame previously selected
  • Other DocX import fixes for specific files
  • PDF Import fixes for specific files
  • PDF Export - Date format in Info now locale dependent
  • Bleed control moved to 'More' options or removed for export formats where it is less relevant
  • (Win) WMF import fix for specific file

Resources

• Linked resources were always updating when a document was re-opened
  • Fix for 'Locate missing resources' on file open failing
  • Replace image was always creating a linked resource
  • Resource Manager was showing incorrect image size for some stock images

Text

• Fixed copy / paste from MSWord not always selecting RTF format
  • Fixed issues with drag / drop and Master Page text
  • Fixes for pinning / unpinning objects within Master Page text
  • Fixes for Pinned objects and Path Text
  • Text wrapping performance improvements
  • Text wrapping around other Text Frames now honours z-order
  • Text wrapping fixed for thin lines
  • Apostrophes causing spelling errors / auto-correct issues
  • Fixed issue preserving fields, index marks etc when correcting spelling
  • Text Style Editor fixes
  • Fix for some fonts not showing underline / strikeout
  • List of used font families for current document does not refresh automatically
  • (Win) Text Styles Panel - hyphenation setting is not reflected correctly
  • (Win) Font handling improvements, new fonts not recognised if many fonts installed, instability when installing a missing font

Printing

• Fix for Empty Picture Frames being erroneously output to Print
  • (Mac) Typing '0' in Pages under Range and Scale in Print dialog causes crash
  • (Mac) Tiled and N-Up options in Print dialog can't be directly edited
  • (Mac) Fix printing CMYK documents on older macOS

StudioLink / Interop

• Implemented 'Edit in Publisher' for Designer and Photo
  • (Win) Photo - Creating a mask from selection now accounts for bleed settings

Misc

• Find and Replace with Paragraph style was only applying style to found text rather than whole paragraph
  • Fix for ArtText not showing as selected if no fill is applied
  • (Mac) Page outlines not always visible with white pasteboard
  • (Mac) Fixed crash starting app from folders containing '/'
  • (Win) Pantone categories are now alphabetically sorted.
  • (Win) Asset names are no longer cut off in list view
  • (Win) Object styles are no longer missing labels when using Grid View
  • Help updates
  • Translation updates

To be notified about all future macOS beta updates, please follow this notification thread
To be notified when this Publisher update comes out of beta and is fully released to all Publisher customers, please follow this thread

Now that we have two forums for Bugs on Mac:
Should we report issues of v420 again which got already reported for the retail version (v408) ?

For instance a reproducible crash on "Save As..." > "Replace" in Separated Mode.

Affinity Publisher Beta_2019-07-05-183448_mbp1.crash

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

• Staff
6 minutes ago, thomaso said:

Should we report issues of v420 again?

ONLY if they are issues declared in the fixlist above. That is quite comprehensive, so no thank you unless your issue is directly referenced in the text above.

If in doubt about something in the list then report again yes,  but please mention that you reported it before (preferably in a new thread in this forums and include a link to the original thread/report).

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Is there a way to import the app settings from the ,normal' version into the beta (or even better: use the same settings file)?

I have set up some export and colour options for Publisher and it's a bit annoying that I have to do that again for the beta, especially since Serif recommends using the beta instead of the release version because of the fixed bugs and such ...

• Staff
1 minute ago, Jens Krebs said:

Is there a way to import the app settings from the ,normal' version into the beta (or even better: use the same settings file)?

Do the opposite of this pinned thread

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Amazing!  This new Publisher Beta (v. 420) is incredibly speedy.  We are back to the lightning fast days of yore.   Thank you, everybody! 

(Now if I can just get the Text Rulers back . . . but that is reported in Bugs. 

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

Resource Manager spinning it's wheels. Mac Mojave 10.14.5, 3.4 GHx ig, 32 GB memory.

Activity Monitor (Mac) has app "Not Responding". Happens in 1.7.1 and this beta 1.7.2.420. Reinstalled both, restarted apps and Mac, etc..

Resource Manager can open but locks up (spinning Beachball). Can drag it's window around but spinning beachball. Reports 2 Modified files (correct). Some are missing in the modified file - moved to other files.

Document is 14,1 MB, 70 plus pages. 20+ linked resources (Affinity Designer documents) with several Artboards in each.

Seems it can't get past one of the resources.

No trouble with other publisher documents. Have an book document 88 pages and no problem. Not as graphic intensive.

Curt Sheller

Activity Manager.png

I can use Studiolink with AfPub and AfDesigner retail versions like a charm. – How about Beta?

When I try using Designer persona in v420 I get this pop-up window:

1315257831_v420studiolinkdesigner.jpg.730d3868fd018865b8977aba54dbfb0a.jpg

When I click "Get Beta" then it guides me there:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/60-affinity-designer-beta-forums/

– But where do I get the Designer Beta? (I don't see a permanent post on top like for AfPub with the momentary Beta)
– and do I really need it? Can't I studiolink to my installed retail AfDesigner from a AfPub Beta?

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

There is no current Designer Beta for Mac, based on the absence of a pinned topic in Designer Beta on Mac and on the latest information in Affinity Range Mac Beta Release Notifications, specifically:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/83296-affinity-range-mac-beta-release-notifications/&do=findComment&comment=488419

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I wrote an earlier note about my preference to keep using the MAS versions and have more frequent updates, and to use the betas only as new features not as bug fixes. I think maybe it was perceived a bit negatively and that was far from my intent. I love all the Affinity products and even like using the betas but my preference was to have more regular updates on the MAS and Affinity store versions. 1.6.x to 1.7.x took a year and the betas were the more useful versions, and the different file formats created a slight mess on my end.  All this is just a slight complaint to be overcome by the massive increase in productivity you have given my design life.

Right now there are three products, and with StudioLink it almost seems a Boolean multiple of nine versions - Photo Beta editing in Publisher or Publisher Beta - but I know you guys have it better organized than that as there are really two systems, Photo Beta/Designer Beta/Publisher Beta and then the store group.  We are just waiting on Designer Beta so that the beta system works all intact.

But let me offer another suggestion here - if I am to now use the beta system of apps can you guys make it easier to export all settings to the betas. Right now in Photo I have many groups, thousands of brushes and macros etc, and I have to export each group one by one.  Also I cannot export the presets that I have spent a lot of time creating them from LUTs (also would love to batch import LUTs as presets perhaps).  I can export Macros and colors and I believe keyboard shortcuts (not sure on this one).  To summarize, there is a lot of work to bring everything I have imported and customized into the beta. Can there be an auto import tool for all these settings and assets?  This would really help in transitioning to the beta because right now I haven't done this as it is too much work.

If I'm experiencing some issues with fonts (here with Helvetica Neue Bold but it happens also with myriad pro bold) when exporting to PDF (substitution of characters, see image). Will this Beta version help with this or is the fix in another thread?

Thank you

(first image the PDF result, second image the original in Publisher)

Screen Shot 2019-07-06 at 21.02.02.png

Screen Shot 2019-07-06 at 21.02.26.png

• Staff
19 hours ago, dcarvalho84 said:

What should be the difference to the retail version regarding this? For me they are looking the same.

Hi dcarvalho84, The change was to fix the above issue.

3 hours ago, AdamW said:

Hi dcarvalho84, The change was to fix the above issue.

Thanks Adam. What i do most of the times is select the field i want, delete and enter my numbers. But yes, now i see some improvements. What i would like to see is the ability to transform the resulting N-up in a new document (which i use a lot). Why? because i've done some tests and if i use the mac os export to pdf all the colors will shift to another colour profile? maybe. And what i do is to export to pdf, open that pdf in publisher, designer and export again with my pdf preset...

• 3 weeks later...

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.