You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Strokes (often) end in strange artifacts when using pen pressure.

I am switching from Illustrator to Designer and so far have really not found anything I'll feel sorry about (in fact I'm loving AD) except one, small, maybe microscopic, but to me important detail: the way Designer closes strokes when I use my Wacom with pressure.

For some reason, if I end strokes with heavier pressure, they will end in strange ‘crumpled’ ways.  Which then needs to be addressed by playing around with the last node and with the pressure graph. 

Stroke and pressure fidelity are good in AD, but in my opinion this 'end' glitch does get in the way.

Screenshot 2019-07-05 at 09.36.35.png

Edited by Cartoonjosh

I have to say that the vector brushes are pretty much useless to me because of this.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

2 hours ago, Sean P said:

Hi Cartoonjosh,

Welcome to the forum! Glad you're enjoying Designer. Unfortunately this is something that is already with development to be fixed! I will pass on your comments.

Hi Sean, thank you for the reply. I'm happy to hear it's on a route to be fixed! If AD's brushes were able to handle the closure of strokes without weird gobs or clusters it would turn them into 100% viable freehand drawing tools, on the par with their bitmap counterparts in Affinity Photo (or, to stay in the vector realm, on the par with Illustrator's ability to nicely close off strokes). For the rest, AD is true pleasure to use!

On 7/5/2019 at 9:04 PM, Old Bruce said:

I have to say that the vector brushes are pretty much useless to me because of this.

Hmmm... I'm somewhere in the middle. I wouldn't say they are useless, because I find the overall quality of AD's brushes good and the strokes respect of curves faithful enough (it's very subjective, of course).  But, yes, when one's brain is in a free-flowing, freehand, sketchy drawing mode, this "cracked cluster end" glitch does hamper the natural workflow. 

Small update (sorry for the soliloquy :), I realise the team is working on this)... 

I'm trying to do some hand-drawn lettering and here the described problem is particularly bad. Every letter I draw by its very nature of being handwritten ends in a wider stroke and thus  has cracked ends. Which then need to be tweaked one by one. I am more inclined to agree with Old Bruce, now. This does make the brushes (almost) useless.  I know it might sound exaggerated  but this single glitch is why I still need Illustrator :( I really hope so much this will be fixed...!

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

So, is this gonna be fixed? I find Affinity products for iPad remarkably superior from everything else. But a few glitches like this make them, sometimes, unusable for my work. I would like to use Designer with vector brushes for my illustrations but they created cracked strokes that remain even if they rasterized.

035EAF64-742E-4F6F-B405-89B5FC66E1CF.jpeg