You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Duplicate images and use shortcuts

Hi,

in qxp i load images with Ctrl+E and i duplicate them with Ctrl+D. In Publisher i can duplicate them with Ctrl+J but how can i import/change images? Only with a mouseclick on the button? No shortcut?

Sometimes i have the need to insert a 2nd version of the same image with transparencies - how can i manage the position of the second image? I made a short screencast of how i work in qxp (indesign does this too) - this seems not to work in publiher because the second image has another position and i see no way to adjust it precisely.

2019-07-05_08h54_36.png

Why not import both images, select both layers and move them together, you can move the layer with transparency after placing to get the overlay option. 

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Hi @mahu the current shortcut for placing images is Shift+Ctrl+M on windows or Shift+Cmd+M on Mac, you can change this by going to preferences>keyboard shortcuts then choose file to see the available shortcuts. I can not see a shortcut for replace image though. The easiest way ... if your images are the same size would be as @firstdefence  suggested above. However you could import your first image, duplicate it, then replace image this will also keep it in the exact same place as the original

Hi @firstdefence,

if i place both images with Ctrl+Shift+M (thank you @Murfee) i receive this:

image.png.01099601c97f4441e81a0ec97599b033.png

If i place both images via drag & drop i receive this:

image.png.4a338253860c24cd9d8b85cac01bd96e.png

How can i place both images exactly at the same position and if i need to scale one image to fit my needs, how can i scale the other image in a second moment to exactly the same position and size? In qxp and id this is a pretty easy standard-task but in publisher i cannot find the right way to do this

Hi @mahu , I have never used qxp and it has been a few years since I used id so I do not know how you would do this in those apps. In Publisher I do not know of an automatic way to achieve what you want. 

You could use the transform panel, if this is not visible you need to go to View>Studio and make sure that there is a tick in the transform Panel. In this panel you can adjust the x&y to place the image exactly where you need it, you can also adjust the height or width, make sure the lock to the side is active to keep the proportions correct. If you need to transform both images together you need to select both layers first.

I hope this helps :)

@Murfee & @firstdefence

sorry guys, in my second post i used the wrong images ... the method with the tranform panel works the same way how it works in other programms. Selecting both images an move+scale works well too. Thank you.

Other question: Is there a way to see the acutal resolution of my image in DPI? Because i need to see, if an image has less than 300dpi.

5 minutes ago, mahu said:

Other question: Is there a way to see the acutal resolution of my image in DPI? Because i need to see, if an image has less than 300dpi.

If you select the image then go to resource manager it will quickly show the original dpi and after it has been resized. You can also see the dpi of the image in it's current state in the top left of the context toolbar while the image is selected. If it has a high dpi then Publisher will control this with the dpi you set when creating the document.

Nope, it shows only the original DPI

image.png.834f1bc157f2e7a9b9f50c624eec8b52.png

At the top left i see only the name of the file (the psd becomes a document, not an image)

image.png.4f9830646cd35924f7da28989e425aa7.png

Ok, with images i see the actual resolution (but not in the resource manager)

image.png.00170645f20287db0528b6699099c2fe.png

4 minutes ago, Murfee said:

It is on the far right, you will need to use the scrollbar unless you can widen the resource manager window to show all the info 

I feel stupid today ...

Edited by mahu