You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

PSD Export with Text Layers

Hello! Been using AD for some time now, really liking it. Thanks for the great product!

However, I’ve got an issue with text layers when exported to PSD—they get rasterized. I've tried exporting large documents as well as documents with just a single line of text—the results are the same.

Any advice please?

• Staff

Currently, text will always export as rasterised.  This is an area of PSD export that we will be improving over time.  It is probably the most difficult part to write, as text is very involved and we handle it differently to PSD, so please bare with us.

We'll look at adding exporting of text as curves/paths soon, but fully editable text is going to be a BIG job. That will come much later.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

• 1 month later...

Just posting to add a request for this too.

I'm guessing that exporting a psd without editable text is stopping designers truely leaving photoshop behind as clients and developers use photoshop. I'm in purgatory here.

Although I do appreciate that this may well be a big undertaking to impliment.

:)

• 3 months later...

yup bubble, this is really the only thing stopping me from switching to affinity right now. my other team members use photoshop and illustrator and i need to be able to be cross program. if i can use affinity photo to export PSDs that open just fine in photoshop, then i could switch to affinity photo and use that instead because the performance is much better. i hope affinity designer would make the illustrator export fully compliant as well so i can use that program too. if affinity does this i think many people will switch from adobe programs because the performance has taken a strong downturn over the last couple years.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, just letting you know that in our company we have the exact same problem right now. Affinity Designer would really increase my working speed heavily but the only thing that really stops me from using it is that the text is not exported as text. For projects where I can work completely on my own I use AD but whenever I have to work with somebody else, they'll complain that the text is not editable in Photoshop. 

Seriously, this is a much huger issue than you guys think it is since it's the only reason I can't use AD full time. I'd appreciate if you guys could come up with a solution for this sooner rather than later. On everything else: really good job guys! :)

• 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Guys, I support Affinity and I know it will have a great future. But unless there's another workflow then working with PSDs for the devs who then use Zeplin, Avocode or other tools to exctract assets and do measurements its MANDATORY that text properties can be edited and read. Affinity Designer already is far superior to Illustrator that can't even export layer effects to PSDs and often struggles to export layered PSDs at all! But this final step IS NEEDED to really have a workflow that acutally works.

My customers ask me if this didn't have been fixed every time I send them my files. They are loosing patience and thats bad for me. I tell as many agencies and customers about how great Affinity Designer is and there are many benefits for using them instead of other clunkier or limited tools. But many ask me why I wouldn't just use Sketch and be happy. Why? Because Sketch is not fun. It's a very bad and limited experience, at least for me. Not to mention their inability to make it cross plattform.

I bought Photo, Designer for Mac and Windows. I really beg you to fix this as soon as possible and then advertise that feature to UI designers who were looking for something like this for years. 

As an alternative: You could start your own Saas for Developers or add another Persona that does what Avocode or Cloud Exctract (R.I.P.)  does/did.

• 3 weeks later...
I had frozen heart.

"Unsurpassed file compatibility

The best PSD import engine..." - and there is no text!? :blink:

Linux + Windows | i7 | 12Gb | Nvidia 760+780 | SSD 500Gb | Toshiba 1Gb | Full Zalman | Dell 27" | Wacom | Blender | Adobe | Affinity

• Staff

There is text - we import text from PSD.

Export, on the other hand is a difficult problem.  It is something we will tackle in the future. Currently, text is flattened when exporting to a PSD.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

Sorry, Yes, I'm talking about the exports.

The decision-crutch:

1. Designer export -> PDF

2. Illustrator -> open PDF -> save as Ai CS6

3. Fireworks -> import Ai -> save as PSD

4. Photoshop -> open PSD -> Select all text -> moving left 2px and down 2px

I make a very big project. I hope for a speedy solution to the export

Linux + Windows | i7 | 12Gb | Nvidia 760+780 | SSD 500Gb | Toshiba 1Gb | Full Zalman | Dell 27" | Wacom | Blender | Adobe | Affinity

• 11 months later...
On 6/5/2015 at 9:44 PM, Ben said:

Currently, text will always export as rasterised.  This is an area of PSD export that we will be improving over time.  It is probably the most difficult part to write, as text is very involved and we handle it differently to PSD, so please bare with us.

We'll look at adding exporting of text as curves/paths soon, but fully editable text is going to be a BIG job. That will come much later.

Much later means in 2030 common, as you advertise it took 5 years to develop this software but in last 3 years you didn't implement 50% or the roadmap features, now you don't have the advantage of being a "New Software" this app is 4 years old now. I am waiting for multiple page feature which is very important for Graphic Designer.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, sebdub said:

+10000

Well, I retract what I said about Affinity being useless for me, I use it every day :) I convinced my co-workers to switch to Affinity. But I still need the editable text when exporting to PSD, right now I am using a very elaborate and annoying workaround, involving Illustrator, Fireworks and Photoshop. Thankfully, at the current company I work with I don't need this workaround, since the developer switched to Affinity, but in the future I will most certainly need it.

• 6 months later...

Sorry to bring this back, not sure if AD team is aware of the importance of this to any UI designer!
My case, and I suspect for most designers working with dev teams, I have to get AD designs to Invision inspect mode on daily bases for developers, how I do it:

1. Design in AD
2. Export PSDs from AD
3. Convert layers to artboard in PS.
4. Sync artboard via craft plugin for PS to Invision 

Having no editable text in PS is basically rendering 50% of my handoff worthless :(
Note: I'm also aware that this feature is available in other apps like XARA

Yeah. I'd like to see that too, right now I don't need it, as I work with one client only, and I convinced everyone to use Affinity, but in the future I think they have two options: either they create this feature, or they become more popular than Sketch. Otherwise they're gonna lose users on the long run, and that would be a shame, it's one of the best apps out there.

edit: I tried Xara, absolutely awful. The UX and UI of the app is garbage, and it's basically more of a website creator than a design tool.

• 4 months later...