You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Connecting nodes (drawing path between nodes)

Would be nice if I cloud connect certain nodes I selected without snapping them each other.

A problem with "Join Curve" action of Node tool is that it connects nearest combination of nodes automatically, so I can not choose which combination.

UPDATE: this has been improved in v1.8. now you can connect nodes you selected.

Can't you select two nodes and then have them joined?

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

21 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

Can't you select two nodes and then have them joined?

would you direct me how?

As I mentioned "Join Curve" action of Node tool connects nearest combination of nodes automatically.

Image 2019-07-04 at 5.00.25 PM.png

Well I will be darned. You are right, after a fashion, I can't even get the top two to join. I would have sworn I could do this before.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

2 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

Well I will be darned. You are right, after a fashion, I can't even get the top two to join. I would have sworn I could do this before.

I'm on PC so that might be a bug.
At least I can connect nearest nodes with Join Curve on my PC.

Ashf,

In a situation like your screenshot example (in which you have a single open path selected), click the Close Curve button on the Node Tool's Context Toolbar.

If you're talking about joining two open paths at end nodes other than the nearest, then yes, the Join Nodes command should join between selected end nodes (if any).

That seems a pretty obvious overlooked need. I wouldn't be surprised to see it fixed soon. The Devs seem pretty responsive to such things.

JET

7 hours ago, JET_Affinity said:

Ashf,

In a situation like your screenshot example (in which you have a single open path selected), click the Close Curve button on the Node Tool's Context Toolbar.

If you're talking about joining two open paths at end nodes other than the nearest, then yes, the Join Nodes command should join between selected end nodes (if any).

That seems a pretty obvious overlooked need. I wouldn't be surprised to see it fixed soon. The Devs seem pretty responsive to such things.

JET

Yes I'm talking about joining two open paths at end nodes other than the nearest.

Another detail worth mentioning along these lines is a keyboard modifier that would control whether or not preexisting extended handles are respected when joining. Back when Illustrator couldn't join more than two paths at once (not that long ago), I hacked out a couple of Javascripts for that:

Joins.png

JET

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
1 hour ago, fde101 said:

You need to make sure that both nodes are part of the same object (use one of the boolean ops to combine the objects if needed) then connect them using the pen tool.

Read through this thread. What I need is connecting nodes on two separate curve and that's not the nearest combination but particular combination.

it's not possible with Join Curve for now.

15 minutes ago, ashf said:

Read through this thread. What I need is connecting nodes on two separate curve and that's not the nearest combination but particular combination.

it's not possible with Join Curve for now.

so don't use Join Curve...  use the pen tool and click on each of the two nodes you are trying to join.

4 minutes ago, fde101 said:

not when using Join Curve, but as others have pointed out, that is not the scenario that they are looking for here...

I know I can do it with Pen tool.
This is a feature request that other vector graphics software have.
Thank you for the opinion anyway.

• 1 month later...
On 7/6/2019 at 8:08 AM, JET_Affinity said:

Ashf,

JET

Well, not that responsive... 5 years waiting for that. Many people pointed after this odd design choice since version 1.0 was released. But developers were not convinced, and it seems they still aren't. That's unfortunate for many...

On 12/19/2019 at 2:46 PM, ashf said:

I know I can do it with Pen tool.
This is a feature request that other vector graphics software have.
Thank you for the opinion anyway.

I know what you are talking about. I've just uploaded a video showing a basic drawing that people frequently do in illustrator and can't do in Affinity Designer without workarounds. Even ignoring that it is easier and quicker to draw this example in adobe Illustrator, I can't figure out why it does not work on Affinity Designer.

Affinity Designer VS Illustrator - Joining Nodes

https://youtu.be/KzXG2tpqhnc

Ps: I have Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo both on Mac and iPad. I believe in the future of the software. I just can't understand why nobody cared to listen all this time.

Edit: As of this post, YouTube is still processing video resolutions higher than 360p . I think it will be available in a few minutes

@mazarin I realize that you are merely providing one example, and agree that the node editing in Affinity needs some improvement, but sometimes it is about adopting a different workflow.

Try this…

1. Draw a square (50mm)
  2. With corner tool grab bottom right corner and drag to top right corner.
  3. Change corner type to Concave.

500580735_AffinityCornerTool.gif.900a7af9bfc7e666fbb0a16fe45ddebf.gif

Job done in less than 10 seconds.

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

Hello, @Aammppaa

Thanks for the example. Yes, I provided just a very simple example, that can be resolved in other ways. The main Issue here is when we are doing more complex drawings.

Let's put here an easy and straightforward example:

Imagine you are designing symmetrical elements on the page...

Or drawing a symmetrical face or a entire character...

And you just want to mirror sides and join nodes. It will not be possible without many hurdles.

That’s what many people have been complaining since affinity designer launched 5 years ago. Many of my colleagues even mock on affinity designer for that (I don’t agree of course).