Since updating to 1.7, the BASIC erase brush has been very choppy, only erasing in what seems to be full circles, just repeated. Before the update, Erasing was smooth and I was able to mask cleanly and accurately, but this has made that no longer possible. Is there any way to fix this?

Hi JoeyP,

I've not seen any other reports of this. Does it improve if you use a smaller sized eraser?  Also can you check under Preferences and on the Performance tab, do you have Metal Compute enabled?  If it is, try disabling it and using the brush again.

If that doesn't improve things, can you post a screen recording of the issue?

I second this. Just bought the recent version and my eraser only makes pixelated choppy lines. Can't get a perfectly crisp line at all like a brush does. So odd. 

On 7/4/2019 at 4:22 PM, JoeyP said:

... the BASIC erase brush has been very choppy, only erasing in what seems to be full circles, just repeated.

From your description, it sounds like the Flow property of the Erase Brush Tool is set to some small % value. What happens if you make sure that is set to 100%?

Affinity Photo 1.7.3, Affinity Designer 1.7.3, Affinity Publisher 1.7.3; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.155 & Affinity Designer 1.7.3.1 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 13.1.2

On 7/5/2019 at 6:41 AM, stokerg said:

Hi JoeyP,

I've not seen any other reports of this. Does it improve if you use a smaller sized eraser?  Also can you check under Preferences and on the Performance tab, do you have Metal Compute enabled?  If it is, try disabling it and using the brush again.

If that doesn't improve things, can you post a screen recording of the issue?

Here is a recording. Still happening. Until the update, those curves would have had crisp edges.