You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

search and replace one text frame only.

2 hours ago, wgwild said:

I want to be able to search and replace a paragraph break in one ... text frame but when I try to "replace all" it replaces paragraph breaks in the entire document. Can't I just select the specific text frame to preform the function on?

Sadly this ability is missing.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Not sure entirely what your workflow is but if I wanted to target just one text frame, I would...

1. Quickly change the font in that text frame to something I never use (e.g. Comic Sans or Impact)

2. Run Find & Replace specifying my criteria but also specifying the changed font name in the Find section

3. Change the font back to what it was previously. 

There will be other ways to do this but basically you just need to give the text frame you are interested in some kind of uniqueness that is not in the other text frames and which the Find & Replace function can lock onto and thus only operate on that text frame.

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• 3 weeks later...

The suggestion from Carl only works for a very simple text. In my case I have many formats within a textframe. Selecting the frame to where to replace text only is such a very basic function, I am surprised this is still missing.

My workaround is to copy that textframe(s) into a new document, and run the find replace there, then copy the frame back to the original layout.

• 2 months later...

I tried copying the text frame into a new document, doing search/replace there and copying it back again. But then all the paragraph styles in the table in the text frame are duplicated, so I have every style as "Style" and "Style 1". (Is there a way of telling Affinity Publisher to just use the style in the target document without duplicating styles?)

It would be great to be able to limit search/replace to a certain text frame or selected text.

• 9 months later...

We should not need to seek work-rounds. I have recently created a 400 page document incorporating material imported from pdf files into publisher and then merged into the main document. Every line in a pdf import ends in a paragraph sign. I find I need to edit some of these imported pdf sections, which requires me to replace the paragraph sign at the end of each line in the paragraph to be edited with a space, and sometimes, to make the typography flow, I have to do this over several pages at a time. Doing a "find and replace" on the affected sections only would be very useful.

Please Affinity, can you implement this?

7 hours ago, microjez said:

We should not need to seek work-rounds. I have recently created a 400 page document incorporating material imported from pdf files into publisher and then merged into the main document. Every line in a pdf import ends in a paragraph sign. I find I need to edit some of these imported pdf sections, which requires me to replace the paragraph sign at the end of each line in the paragraph to be edited with a space, and sometimes, to make the typography flow, I have to do this over several pages at a time. Doing a "find and replace" on the affected sections only would be very useful.

Please Affinity, can you implement this?

As you're asking for an enhancement to the program, you should post a new Topic in the Feature Requests forum for Publisher, or post an agreement with an existing topic that has already requested this.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I still have an earlier request in mind but can't find it with the forum's search. It explicitly mentioned various specs to limit a search, e.g.in selected text frame(s), current page, story, section, document.

However you might want to bring this related request back to live (even though it doesn't mention "Find" in its title but says "Search" instead):

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1