You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

file place issues when artboards are not converted to spreads (split)

there is also one more issue i saw last night, when there are multiple artboards, affinity publisher picture frame tool only work on one left most artboard. On other artboards this tool fails. 

Yes, i am talking about artboards, because the file is created in designer, hence it has artboards and not spreads. 
also the tool crash even if you convert artboards to spreads using publisher, it works only on first artboard from left most side.
just wanted to know if its just me lol or happening for everyone. nobody seems to mention this.

52 minutes ago, komakolud said:

there is also one more issue i saw last night, when there are multiple artboards, affinity publisher picture frame tool only work on one left most artboard. On other artboards this tool fails. 

Yes, i am talking about artboards, because the file is created in designer, hence it has artboards and not spreads. 
also the tool crash even if you convert artboards to spreads using publisher, it works only on first artboard from left most side.
just wanted to know if its just me lol or happening for everyone. nobody seems to mention this.

Can you perhaps upload the file or give a step by step description on how to reproduce this?

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

On 7/1/2019 at 11:04 AM, dominik said:

Can you perhaps upload the file or give a step by step description on how to reproduce this?

d.

step by step description on how to reproduce this :-
1) Open affinity designer and create a new document (affinity designer is important)
2) on this new document, create multiple artboards, anywhere you like.
3) save document and now open it in publisher.
4) choose "not to convert artboards to spreads" 
5) once the document is opened, choose the"picture frame tool" and create multiple frames on different aroboards.
6) once youre done creating picture frames, choose "place image tool".
7) now select multiple images such that [No. of multiple images > no. of picture frames]
8) As you can see now, place image tool will only work on left most, or first from left artboard. On other artboards, this tool don't place images. 

i hope this give you all the steps you need to recreate the issue :)

4 hours ago, komakolud said:

i hope this makes it more clear to see, how this image place tool does not work on artboard other than leftmost artboard.

Interesting discovery, It works the same way for me.

Here's a sample .afdesign file to aid others' experimentation:

3Artboards.afdesign

And here's a simpler recipe:

1. Open that .afdesign file in Publisher.
  2. Do not convert Artboards to Spreads.
  3. Draw a picture frame on the middle Artboard.
  4. Try to Place an image into it. The History will show "Populate Picture Frame" but no image will appear.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 7/2/2019 at 5:32 PM, walt.farrell said:

Interesting discovery, It works the same way for me.

Here's a sample .afdesign file to aid others' experimentation:

3Artboards.afdesign

And here's a simpler recipe:

1. Open that .afdesign file in Publisher.
  2. Do not convert Artboards to Spreads.
  3. Draw a picture frame on the middle Artboard.
  4. Try to Place an image into it. The History will show "Populate Picture Frame" but no image will appear.

Woah, right right, its happening for me too. i guess this thread got some critical issues to be forwarded to developers :) thanks for sharing your experience

on top of that, if moving pages on work area side by side or anywhere just like artboards, option was available, it would be super cool. right now, publisher feels kind of constrained, and limited in terms of working with spreads.

37 minutes ago, komakolud said:

on top of that, if moving pages on work area side by side or anywhere just like artboards, option was available, it would be super cool. right now, publisher feels kind of constrained, and limited in terms of working with spreads.

That's a good point, but that's a feature request, not a bug report. You should post it in the Feedback section, or find an existing feature request to add your vote to :)

Feedback for Affinity Publisher on Desktop

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff

Hi komakolud,
Welcome to Affinifty Forums :)
Thanks for your reports/support. I'm logging the file place issue when artboards are not converted to spreads. It actually places the file but it's layer is located under the first (left most) artboard layer in the Layers panel. Meanwhile if you drag the file from Windows Explorer or Finder directly over the picture frame it should and the image without issues.

Thanks walt.farrell.

16 hours ago, MEB said:

Hi komakolud,
Welcome to Affinifty Forums :)
Thanks for your reports/support. I'm logging the file place issue when artboards are not converted to spreads. It actually places the file but it's layer is located under the first (left most) artboard layer in the Layers panel. Meanwhile if you drag the file from Windows Explorer or Finder directly over the picture frame it should and the image without issues.

Thanks walt.farrell.

thanks to you MEB for your response, but i am sorry to say the "drag file from explorer on picutre frame" still dont work sadly.

As always, desperately excited for upcoming updates and hearing for you. long live affinity ^^)

• 3 months later...
  • Staff

We believe the issue has been fixed in 1.8.0  [Publisher betas currently available if you care to check].

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon