You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Report issues using Designer on iPadOS 13 Beta HERE

• Staff

If you are using the beta iPad OS 13 (iPadOS) and Affinity Designer does not function correctly as a consequence, we would like the issues reported in this thread. Whether you are using the current Affinity Designer iPad Beta build OR the current Affinity Designer for iPad Release build this forum (and thread) is the place to report it, so we can work out if the problem is caused by the using the iOS beta or if it is true on iOS 12 also.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Hi Patrick,

I am on IPad OS 13, everything’s so far really smooth(beta and stable), just that I can’t import Assets, Brushes or Macros. I guess it’s an problem, apple has to fix, since so much changed in filehandling and sharesheet. 

Cheers,

lutz 

| https://www.instagram.com/lutz.heidbrink https://500px.com/lutzheidbrink | https://www.eyeem.com/u/pixelcoder | https://society6.com/pixelcoder 
iPad Pro 10.5 - iOS 11.4.1 - Affinity Photo 1.6.7 - Affinity Designer 1.6.0.35 :11_blush:

Sure thing Patrick, 

Letting you know it is difficult to change a vector brush’s opacity by sliding left/right on the Context bar. You can see the video attached. When using the swipe gesture, the opacity value tends to change in decrement/increments of 1, none, 3-4 or more at a time...

Using Designer beta 1.7.2.3 on iPadOS 13 Public Beta 1

Affinity Designer, Affinity Photo (iPadOS 14 beta, iPad Pro 12.9” - 3rd Gen)

Hi team,

Letting you know afbrushes files cannot be imported into Designer on iPadOS 13. The problem is the files are greyed out (unselectable), when trying to import brushes with the document picker. This happens on both the release and beta versions of Designer. 

Using latest release and beta of Designer, on iPadOS 13 Public Beta 2.

10 hours ago, SageBlue said:

Hi team,

Letting you know afbrushes files cannot be imported into Designer on iPadOS 13. The problem is the files are greyed out (unselectable), when trying to import brushes with the document picker. This happens on both the release and beta versions of Designer. 

If you can move your file into Dropbox, they will open from there. Very strange, for years iCloud was the only reliable source and Dropbox was terrible, now it’s the other way round. I wonder if the mods that were applied to make Dropbox work, now need to be applied for iCloud.

My dad always told me, a bad workman always blames their tools….

Just waiting for Ronny Pickering…..

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on Windows 10 Pro. Deceased
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 2.4 on M1 iPad Pro 11” on iPadOS 17.4 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityForiPad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

The hardest link to find https://affinity.help

• Staff
On 7/5/2019 at 9:45 AM, SageBlue said:

Sure thing Patrick, 

Letting you know it is difficult to change a vector brush’s opacity by sliding left/right on the Context bar. You can see the video attached. When using the swipe gesture, the opacity value tends to change in decrement/increments of 1, none, 3-4 or more at a time...

Using Designer beta 1.7.2.3 on iPadOS 13 Public Beta 1

FullSizeRender.mov

This doesn't seem to be an issue with the iPadOS 13 beta. The 1.7.1 version works fine on iPadOS13. I believe it has just regressed in 1.7.2, as I can also reproduce it in iOS 12.  I'll get it reported and passed on to development.

12 hours ago, SageBlue said:

Hi team,

I've reproduced this and passed this onto development also. Thanks for letting us know.

4 hours ago, Paul Mudditt said:

If you can move your file into Dropbox, they will open from there. Very strange, for years iCloud was the only reliable source and Dropbox was terrible, now it’s the other way round. I wonder if the mods that were applied to make Dropbox work, now need to be applied for iCloud.

Interesting. You’re right, that is strange. Good to see you Paul. Hope things are well mate. Found iCloud works well. Been using it since the first iPad Pro. Happy to see iPadOS going further and good for Publisher :3_grin:

Hey guys,

Noticed Designer is missing a font(s) for Assets in iPadOS 13. Running to work, so don’t have time to look further into it at the moment unfortunately. Attached an image showing the font is missing as “? SF Pro Text”. Also, is the typeface in the green status bar smaller than usual? I can’t remember, but would imagine it being a bit larger, maybe bold.

Hope this helps.

42F63DA2-A5BF-452D-A7CD-F95C2D8DBC3A.jpeg

Hi there, I am having trouble with the iPad version of Designer on iOS13 beta. When I open an existing drawing and do work on it, the app acts normally. When I'm done and want to go back to the projects view, the app quits and does not save my changes. On relaunching, sometimes the preview of the drawing shows the updated version, but once it opens I am back to where I was before I made changes. If I try save the drawing, the same happens – the app quits and none of the changes are saved. 

How can I go further? Is this a known issue?

• Staff
17 hours ago, hdp said:

Hi there, I am having trouble with the iPad version of Designer on iOS13 beta. When I open an existing drawing and do work on it, the app acts normally. When I'm done and want to go back to the projects view, the app quits and does not save my changes. On relaunching, sometimes the preview of the drawing shows the updated version, but once it opens I am back to where I was before I made changes. If I try save the drawing, the same happens – the app quits and none of the changes are saved. 

How can I go further? Is this a known issue?

Does this happen with just this file, or does it happen on others or a new document? It does look like it could be file related. On the home screen of Designer could you hold down on that file, and then drag it into Files > On my iPad or iCloud please and attach it to this post so we can take a look?

Thanks!

• Staff
43 minutes ago, hdp said:

Hi Sean, thanks for the reply. It happens to some other documents as well. The files are stored on my iPad by default, although I do keep some on iCloud to test roundtripping to Publisher on my Mac. I have attached the file below for you to look at.

Untitled.afdesign

Thank you very much for the file - It is much appreciated! I've been able to replicate the crash and it does seem to be specific to your file. It is also not an issue with iPadOS 13 - it is just a standard Designer iPad issue. I'll get it passed on to development!

5 minutes ago, Sean P said:

Thank you very much for the file - It is much appreciated! I've been able to replicate the crash and it does seem to be specific to your file. It is also not an issue with iPadOS 13 - it is just a standard Designer iPad issue. I'll get it passed on to development!

I will rebuild the file from scratch to see whether it behaves better, but some of my other files do the same – even if I save them they revert back to their previous state when opened.

Hi team, 

Designer 1.7.1 on iPadOS Public Beta 2, has issues changing fonts and text formatting. I’ve restarted the 3rd iPad Pro and still have the same issue. Here is an example of try to change fonts...

Every time I tap anywhere on the font menu, the keyboard disappears.

Hope this helps.

Similar to the font selection issue, the following video shows similar issues when trying to change text size, when swiping horizontally and tapping the size buttons, and notice the touches appear behind the keyboard...

• Staff

Thanks for the videos SageBlue, I'm struggling to reproduce what you're seeing. What it appears happening is that your selecting the image layer below which is why the keyboard disappears, however it is very borderline for me to do that. Again this is the same as the TextSize - it is creating a new text object. I believe the reason the touch indicator appears under the keyboard is because our app displays the touch indicator, but Apple draw the keyboard over the application.

Do you still get this issue if you try touching a bit further down on the font dropdown?

On 7/13/2019 at 1:50 AM, SageBlue said:

Hi team, 

Designer 1.7.1 on iPadOS Public Beta 2, has issues changing fonts and text formatting. I’ve restarted the 3rd iPad Pro and still have the same issue. Here is an example of try to change fonts...

ChangeFont.mov
Every time I tap anywhere on the font menu, the keyboard disappears.

Hope this helps.

I have been having this same issue for a couple of days now. Anytime I go to edit the font on my text, my ipad registers the pencil as if it's click on just the canvas itself and not the keyboard which makes the keyboard go away

. So it constantly ends up creating new text layers when that's not what i'm trying to do. I have deleted the app, did a hard restart on my ipad pro, close and opened the app and nothing changes. 

I’m wondering if the Affinity engine for iOS will be upgraded to sense mouse imputs. Id would be helpful for me when designing content on the iPad to allow my control to be more precise. It also would be helpful for folks using a trackpad due to accessibility issues.

Thanks!

Hi Sean, 

Thanks for the feedback and you’re welcome. Sorry for the delay, busy few days at work. 
This issue is with the formatting bar above the standard keyboard. Tried tapping a bit lower on the formatting bar for the font menu with no luck. The font menu never appears. It is as though the formatting bar is only visible, but not there to be touched in any way. Any tap on the formatting bar always causes the keyboard and formatting bar to close to the bottom of the screen. The same thing happens in iPadOS 13 Public Beta 3.

Hi Sean, 

Thanks for the feedback and you’re welcome. Sorry for the delay, busy few days at work. 
This issue is with the formatting bar above the standard keyboard. Tried tapping a bit lower on the formatting bar for the font menu with no luck. The font menu never appears. It is as though the formatting bar is only visible, but not there to be touched in any way. Any tap on the formatting bar always causes the keyboard and formatting bar to close to the bottom of the screen. The same thing happens in iPadOS 13 Public Beta 3.

While tapping closes the keyboard, can still swipe left/right to change font size. However, the font size number stays the same during the swipe and only changes after finishing the swipe. The characters themselves on canvas, don’t change size at all.

Hope this helps.

Also confirming fyi, cannot import brushes in iPadOS 13 Public Beta 3, like in Public Beta 2. Files are greyed out and unselectable, whether from the brush studio or Fonts tab in Designer’s settings.