You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Error Msg: "Document Failed to Save and must now be closed"

I've been using Publisher since the beta and now have the full version. I constantly get an error message when I save files that the "document failed to save and must now be closed." There's no way for me to click back and choose Save As instead. It just closes the file and I have to hope the recovery file saved my last changes. Any ideas?

I have this sometimes too especially if the network share loses connectivity for a bit. (but it was designer on Windows)

I can see why an error message is needed if it cant save, but SERIOUSLY, forcibly closing the document is NOT the right way to go about it, rather spawn a save as dialog.

• 2 weeks later...

"Document Failed to Save and must now be closed"

This is must be a bug rather than a feature. Why not have Publisher prompt for another location to save your document? It's not an acceptable error if Publisher is to be considered software for professional use because NAS is commonly used in professional creative environments.  

On 7/15/2019 at 4:17 PM, Worthy Image said:

This is must be a bug rather than a feature.

Neither one - it is a limitation of the way that the file format is implemented.

The Affinity programs do not keep the entire document cached in memory but rely on accessing data randomly from the saved document file.

If the document file changes from underneath one of the Affinity programs or if the file becomes inaccessible, then the program can no longer reliably access the data in the file and does not have the information necessary to save it somewhere else, so it has no choice but to discard the document and no way to save it.

This was recently explained in another thread.