You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

v1.7.1 "edit in Photo" giving empty document window, no way back!

(First: Yes my StudioLink is working.)

I see these menu items under "File" called something like "Edit in Photo..." "Edit in Designer..." (mine is in german) and if I use them, it opens my publisher-document in Photo.

Well, sort of:

in Photo, the (linked) Images come in very pixelated and if I close this window, I'm back in Publisher, now with an empty window, and no option to save. So my document contents are lost!

I know that the right way to invoke StudioLink is via the Persona-Buttons, but when I come across these menu-items I take them, thinking it does the same, or better: "Edit the currently selected Image in Photo", uncropped and fresh from the harddrive!

• Main machine: iMac 2019 (21,5-inch 4k, 6core), 64GB RAM, 1TB nvme + 2TB ssd, running on Mac OS 13;
  • Display setup: 28" 5k Display (primary) + 21,5" iMac4k-Display for studio panels (secondary);
  • Keyboard layout: german apple extended keyboard (aluminium);

In Publisher, Edit in Photo takes the complete Publisher document to Photo, where you are operating on the complete page just as if you simply used the Photo Persona in Publisher.

But then, as you note, there's no simple way back until 1.7.2, which adds Edit in Publisher to the Photo application.

Still, Edit in Photo is not what you want, because you don't want to be editing the complete Publisher document, nor the complete Publisher page.

What you  need to do, assuming you have a Linked image file (JPG, TIFF, PNG) is select it with the Move Tool, then click Edit Image on the Context Toolbar. That will open it in a new tab within Publisher. Then you switch to the Photo Persona, make your edits, and File > Save. At that point the original linked document has been edited. You close that editing tab in Publisher.

Depending on your Publisher Preferences, you will either be told that a linked image was changed, and you need to go to the Resource Manager to Update the Publisher document, or that will happen automatically.

If, instead, you have a Linked document file (PDF, .afphoto, SVG, etc.) things work a little differently. For those, you basically do the same (except the button is Edit Document) but when you do the Save the original file is not modified, only the copy in the Publisher document.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1