You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Viewing the opacity in text frames in %

5 minutes ago, dominik said:

I had the same idea but 'paste style' pastes the colour with it's transparency value to the text in the text frame and not to the text frame itself. At least on Windows.

d.

Not seeing that here, also on Windows.

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

2 hours ago, carl123 said:

Doh! I'll check again when back at the APub computer.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

7 hours ago, carl123 said:

Back at the APub computer. Definetely 'pastes style' pastes to the text colour and not to the text frame's background.

I tried a screen recording but this does not work well here. So in single steps:

• Create a new document.
  • Create a rectangle. Give it a colour (from the colour palette) and set transparency to 50%.
  • Create a text frame and add some filler text.
  • Activate the rectangle and copy (CTRL+C).
  • Activate the text frame (with a single click) and select menu 'Edit > Paste Style'.

Result: the text within the text frame turns into the colour of the rectangle.

What may be the difference between your and my procedure?

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M

12 minutes ago, dominik said:

what may be the difference between your and my procedure?

Yours is wrong

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

2 minutes ago, carl123 said:

Yours is wrong

That's a little short answer. What do I have to do differently to make it work?

d.

8 minutes ago, dominik said:

That's a little short answer. What do I have to do differently to make it work? 

d.

Add a text frame & fill with text

Use the Text Frame Studio to give the text frame a colour and any opacity you like

Now if you came back to that document days later and wanted to add another text frame with exactly the same colour & opacity.

Just select the original text frame and Edit > Copy, then Edit > Paste style to the new text frame

5 minutes ago, carl123 said:

Add a text frame & fill with text

Use the Text Frame Studio to give the text frame a colour and any opacity you like

Now if you came back to that document days later and wanted to add another text frame with exactly the same colour & opacity.

Just select the original text frame and Edit > Copy, then Edit > Paste style to the new text frame

Thanks for the explanation. Now I know where we are misunderstanding.

Of course your method pastes style to the text frame and it's fill.

But the task is to fill it with a colour plus opacity where the opacity is controlled by a numerical input. The idea is to copy the fill from an object (the rectangle above) that has a fill opacity slider with a percentage read out next to it.

This fails because the fill of a rectangle does not seem to be the same property like the fill of a text frame. That way I was not able to provide a solution to the OP's question.

Anyway, we got sorted it out. Cheers,
d.

2 minutes ago, dominik said:

Of course your method pastes style to the text frame and it's fill.

But the task is to fill it with a colour plus opacity where the opacity is controlled by a numerical input.

I outlined that method in the first option in my first post in this thread

"If I know the precise percentage opacity I want, I create a rectangle set the fill & opacity there then convert the rectangle to a text frame "

When creating the rectangle the opacity can be controlled by a numerical input

6 minutes ago, carl123 said:

I outlined that method in the first option in my first post in this thread

"If I know the precise percentage opacity I want, I create a rectangle set the fill & opacity there then convert the rectangle to a text frame "

This is true. It really was a misunderstanding on my side. I did not completely understand in your sentence:

'If I am trying to match an existing text frame I do a copy & paste style from an existing text frame...'

that you were referring to a text frame converted from a rectangle. After reading your post again I see the connection, I just missed when I read it first.

After all, something new learned before the end of the week :)
d.

• 11 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 6 months later...