In most places in Publisher the amount of opacity is shown as a percentage except for one. When changing the opacity of a fill in a text frame there's a slider but no place (as far as I can see) to view the actual percentage of the opacity. I find this very frustrating and makes for inconsistent values when adjusting the opacity of fills in text frames. If this is a missing feature, please add it in the next upgrade!!!

That's fine if you want to adjust the opacity of the whole layer, both text and background fill. But I just want to adjust the opacity of the fill.

This is the opacity of the layer:

1795309564_Skjermbilde2019-07-04kl_15_07_34.png.9930e8335df0f0157746911b6d8c7909.png

But this is where I need to see the opacity in %:

1332810653_Skjermbilde2019-07-04kl_15_08_12.thumb.png.b1d6666165a41d4d9b15554818cbee56.png

You can see it in the Swatches panel if you have the color in the Recent colors row. But it works really oddly. The recent color is basically darker when opacity is low (as if on black background) but if you click the swatch in Recent colors row you can see its true opacity value. 

1 hour ago, Steaming T said:

I am afraid that doesn't help much. I need to see the percentage as I am adjusting it...

You can adjust it in the Color Panel, too, which does let you see the opacity percentage.

In the Text Frame panel, select the Fill and set the color you want. This will provide some context for the Color panel. Then drag the Opacity slider in the Color panel, and it will adjust the opacity of the Text Frame fill, and give you the % readout. Or simply enter the percentage value you want.

Wrong. As Steaming T noted below. Sorry.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 2004 (19041.388),
   Desktop: 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz, GeForce GTX 970
   Laptop:  8GB memory, Intel Core i7-3625QM @ 2.30GHz, Intel HD Graphics 4000 or NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M
Affinity Photo 1.8.5.703 and 1.9.0.734 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.8.5.703 and 1.9.0.734 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.8.5.703 and 1.9.0.742 Beta.

No, that doesn't work! Dragging the opacity slider in the color panel adjusts the opacity of the whole text frame, both the text and the fill...

The opacity is shown in % everywhere else than for text frames. Here is the color panel:

2116641486_Skjermbilde2019-07-04kl_17_00_39.png.95a1b3959b95272015154b2167be7df2.png

And here it is in the Layers panel:

2003110327_Skjermbilde2019-07-04kl_17_01_14.png.f264057d1c4db3e7ab2e2d0d9f527418.png

But not for text frames. I can't see any sensible reason why not:

1379378699_Skjermbilde2019-07-04kl_17_00_54.png.0cfa914747d9aa0cbc9630625ea9539a.png

1 hour ago, Steaming T said:

I am afraid that doesn't help much. I need to see the percentage as I am adjusting it...

You could change the tint of the colour with a slider or a value. It's not the same as transparency but it's there if it's suitable.

Windows 10 Pro, I5 3.3G PC 16G RAM

1 minute ago, Steaming T said:

No, that doesn't work! Dragging the opacity slider in the color panel adjusts the opacity of the whole text frame, both the text and the fill...

Oops. You're right. Sorry.

-- Walt

Laptop:  8GB memory, Intel Core i7-3625QM @ 2.30GHz, Intel HD Graphics 4000 or NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M
Affinity Photo 1.8.5.703 and 1.9.0.734 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.8.5.703 and 1.9.0.734 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.8.5.703 and 1.9.0.742 Beta.

There is no problems with adjusting the opacity for fills in text frames. The probIem is that without a % field it is impossible to be consistent when adjusting it.  All I really want is a % field to be added to the right of the Opacity slider in the text frame tab just like everywhere else where you can adjust the opacity!

The Color palette that is shown when Text Frame Fill control is clicked should definitely have a similar Opacity field that is shown on the Color palette (which as mentioned affects both text and fill when fill is not assigned, and mere text if fill is already assigned). One way to work around the problem is creating a dummy object and use that to achieve the desired fill and opacity (the selected object below), and then create a document palette and add this color value as a swatch. It gets the color value AND the opacity/transparency as an A value, in this case 31% (but the values are unfortunately not updated if you edit the color so you need to create a new swatch for each edit). After you have the color with the transparency as a swatch, you can click the Fill control in the Text Frame palette, and then select the Swatches tab that shows the document palette and here you can select the desired fill (see the lower image below). 

This is unnecessarily complex so hopefully the Color panel related to the text frame fill gets its own opacity percentage box.

textframe_fill.thumb.jpg.5ca4a29dab0ec9399c269351c8564577.jpg

textframe_fill2.jpg.eef76c6384b8bd24474086d4571e6693.jpg

13 hours ago, Steaming T said:

There is no problems with adjusting the opacity for fills in text frames. The probIem is that without a % field it is impossible to be consistent when adjusting it.  All I really want is a % field to be added to the right of the Opacity slider in the text frame tab just like everywhere else where you can adjust the opacity!

Not sure when we will get that so I have a couple of workarounds I use.

If I know the precise percentage opacity I want, I create a rectangle set the fill & opacity there then covert the rectangle to a text frame

If I am trying to match an existing text frame I do a copy & paste style from an existing text frame to the new one

Due to the fact that Boris Johnson is now our Prime Minister, punctuation, spelling and grammar will never be worried about ever again.  We now have far bigger problems to be worried about.

Just use a shape with your preferred poison behind the textframe.

So no fiddling around with background colors/margins whatsoever,just edit the shape and let the textframe align to the center of the shape.

There is probably some good reason why the text frame must have separate fill and stroke controls... I have not figured out what it is, and it seems that the whole issue could be avoided if the fill and stroke could simply be assigned from the generic color controls (similarly as for shapes), and the text color (for the fill and outline, if applied) when the text within the frame is selected with the text tool. 

This has nothing to do with how text frames are handled. It's simply about adding a % field next to the Opacity slider just like everywhere else where you can adjust the opacity. I can't imagine this is difficult to implement and to me it looks more like an oversight than a technically difficult feature to add.

21 minutes ago, Steaming T said:

This has nothing to do with how text frames are handled. It's simply about adding a % field next to the Opacity slider just like everywhere else where you can adjust the opacity. I can't imagine this is difficult to implement and to me it looks more like an oversight than a technically difficult feature to add.

Apparently it has as e.g. in InDesign and QXP text frame coloring (fill, stroke, transparency, etc.) is handled with generic color controls. For some reason not known to me Publisher has specific color controls for the text frame. If they are really needed it is clear that not having the opacity control is an oversight. If they are not really needed it would be best to just get rid of these controls. They require also duplication of the Swatches, Color and Gradient panels and just make the whole thing oddly complex.

EDIT: InDesign has an elegant solution for this as it has a control in the Swatches panel that lets you specify whether color assignment (for fill or stroke) is applied to the text frame or the contained text. No need to change to text tool unless you wish to specify color separately for only part of the text. And you can have multiple text frames selected. Quark seems to be able to handle text coloring only when text tool is used to select the affected text and cannot handle multiple text frames simultaneously. But the point is that colors for all objects are specified by using common controls.

14 minutes ago, Steaming T said:

I agree that it looks like an oversight, and I don't think you're the first person to have posted about it and rasied a feature request.

-- Walt

19 minutes ago, Lagarto said:

There is probably some good reason why the text frame must have separate fill and stroke controls... I have not figured out what it is,

Normally you have an object, and it has a stroke and a fill.

With a Text Frame, you have the Frame (which must have a stroke and fill), and you have the text within the frame, which must also have a stroke and fill. And you need some way for a color dialog to know which which of those you want to adjust.

So, the Frame has its own set (in the Text Frame panel) and the text has its own set (in the Context Toolbar for the font color (fill?), and in the Stroke panel for the stroke).

By the way, the color panel for the text in the Context Toolbar also has an opacity slider, and it also doesn't have the percentage shown. But that one matches the settings of the Color panel. That's what I was thinking of earlier when I suggested using the slider in the color panel.

-- Walt

12 hours ago, carl123 said:

If I am trying to match an existing text frame I do a copy & paste style from an existing text frame to the new one

I had the same idea but 'paste style' pastes the colour with it's transparency value to the text in the text frame and not to the text frame itself. At least on Windows.

d.

Affinity Designer 1.8.5 (beta 1.9.0.734)   |   Affinity Photo 1.8.5 (beta 1.9.0.734)   |   Affinity Publisher 1.8.5 (beta 1.9.0.742)
Affinity Designer for iPad 1.8.4   |   Affinity Photo for iPad 1.8.4

Windows 10 (1809) 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil