You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Viewing the opacity in text frames in %

In most places in Publisher the amount of opacity is shown as a percentage except for one. When changing the opacity of a fill in a text frame there's a slider but no place (as far as I can see) to view the actual percentage of the opacity. I find this very frustrating and makes for inconsistent values when adjusting the opacity of fills in text frames. If this is a missing feature, please add it in the next upgrade!!!

1 hour ago, Steaming T said:

I am afraid that doesn't help much. I need to see the percentage as I am adjusting it...

You can adjust it in the Color Panel, too, which does let you see the opacity percentage.

In the Text Frame panel, select the Fill and set the color you want. This will provide some context for the Color panel. Then drag the Opacity slider in the Color panel, and it will adjust the opacity of the Text Frame fill, and give you the % readout. Or simply enter the percentage value you want.

Wrong. As Steaming T noted below. Sorry.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

No, that doesn't work! Dragging the opacity slider in the color panel adjusts the opacity of the whole text frame, both the text and the fill...

The opacity is shown in % everywhere else than for text frames. Here is the color panel:

2116641486_Skjermbilde2019-07-04kl_17_00_39.png.95a1b3959b95272015154b2167be7df2.png

And here it is in the Layers panel:

2003110327_Skjermbilde2019-07-04kl_17_01_14.png.f264057d1c4db3e7ab2e2d0d9f527418.png

But not for text frames. I can't see any sensible reason why not:

1379378699_Skjermbilde2019-07-04kl_17_00_54.png.0cfa914747d9aa0cbc9630625ea9539a.png

1 hour ago, Steaming T said:

I am afraid that doesn't help much. I need to see the percentage as I am adjusting it...

You could change the tint of the colour with a slider or a value. It's not the same as transparency but it's there if it's suitable.

Windows 10 Pro, I5 3.3G PC 16G RAM

1 minute ago, Steaming T said:

No, that doesn't work! Dragging the opacity slider in the color panel adjusts the opacity of the whole text frame, both the text and the fill...

Oops. You're right. Sorry.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

There is no problems with adjusting the opacity for fills in text frames. The probIem is that without a % field it is impossible to be consistent when adjusting it.  All I really want is a % field to be added to the right of the Opacity slider in the text frame tab just like everywhere else where you can adjust the opacity!

13 hours ago, Steaming T said:

There is no problems with adjusting the opacity for fills in text frames. The probIem is that without a % field it is impossible to be consistent when adjusting it.  All I really want is a % field to be added to the right of the Opacity slider in the text frame tab just like everywhere else where you can adjust the opacity!

Not sure when we will get that so I have a couple of workarounds I use.

If I know the precise percentage opacity I want, I create a rectangle set the fill & opacity there then covert the rectangle to a text frame

If I am trying to match an existing text frame I do a copy & paste style from an existing text frame to the new one

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

This has nothing to do with how text frames are handled. It's simply about adding a % field next to the Opacity slider just like everywhere else where you can adjust the opacity. I can't imagine this is difficult to implement and to me it looks more like an oversight than a technically difficult feature to add.

14 minutes ago, Steaming T said:

This has nothing to do with how text frames are handled. It's simply about adding a % field next to the Opacity slider just like everywhere else where you can adjust the opacity. I can't imagine this is difficult to implement and to me it looks more like an oversight than a technically difficult feature to add.

I agree that it looks like an oversight, and I don't think you're the first person to have posted about it and rasied a feature request.

-- Walt
PC:

19 minutes ago, Lagarto said:

There is probably some good reason why the text frame must have separate fill and stroke controls... I have not figured out what it is,

Normally you have an object, and it has a stroke and a fill.

With a Text Frame, you have the Frame (which must have a stroke and fill), and you have the text within the frame, which must also have a stroke and fill. And you need some way for a color dialog to know which which of those you want to adjust.

So, the Frame has its own set (in the Text Frame panel) and the text has its own set (in the Context Toolbar for the font color (fill?), and in the Stroke panel for the stroke).

By the way, the color panel for the text in the Context Toolbar also has an opacity slider, and it also doesn't have the percentage shown. But that one matches the settings of the Color panel. That's what I was thinking of earlier when I suggested using the slider in the color panel.

-- Walt
PC:

12 hours ago, carl123 said:

If I am trying to match an existing text frame I do a copy & paste style from an existing text frame to the new one

I had the same idea but 'paste style' pastes the colour with it's transparency value to the text in the text frame and not to the text frame itself. At least on Windows.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil