You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

These are the specs for a refurbished 2005 iMac here locally.  $400 is the asking price on CL, and that sounded fairly reasonable.  Not knowing anything about Macs, is this enough machine to run the beta and potential release versions?

"....a refurbished 21" iMac with a new HDD and OSX 10.9.3 Mavericks installed. There is no additional software installed however it does have a functional DVD drive with DVD player software, Lots of ports, an Apple Keyboard with numberpad and a built in Mic.

2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2 GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM - Upgradeable to 4 GB
160 GB HDD - upgradable to 1000 GB
Built In Speakers"

I was tempted to look at the 13" MacBooks.  However, with my rather limited vision, I felt that a larger screen (same size as my Win-PC) would be a better choice.

Lon "got a Mac attack going here" in MacArkansas

post-42-0-05866600-1403318942_thumb.jpg

I wanted a 13" screen because it was much more affordable, but hubby said that I would hate it, it would be too small for me. So I got the 15" and it is really good. Just this once, hubby was right :) I really wanted the big desktop version with a very large monitor but just didn't have room for that at all, but that would have been my preference.

MacBook Pro 11,2,  Intel i7 4 core, 8Gb RAM, Graphics Intel Iris Pro.

iPad Pro 11.4,  256Gb, 10.5 Retina, A10X Fusion chip, Apple pencil

Desktop upgraded to Win10 64-bit, Intel i5 quad core, 8Gb RAM, NVIDIA GefORCE GT730

The Win-10 laptop is on permanent loan to my daughter......

My Flickr Album

I wanted a 13" screen because it was much more affordable, but hubby said that I would hate it, it would be too small for me. So I got the 15" and it is really good. Just this once, hubby was right :) I really wanted the big desktop version with a very large monitor but just didn't have room for that at all, but that would have been my preference.

Thanks, Hils.  I have a smaller laptop PC, and have great difficulty with seeing everything as well as I'd like.  I think I'm going to take Marilyn's suggestion and get the MacBook laptop (13", I think) for portability and a bit more current specs (2009 model MacBook), but then get a stand-alone monitor, for when I need larger screen size.  I saw that Walmart has full HD Acer 20" monitors for just under $100-USD.  That's probably going to be the ticket.

Hi Lon - it's been a while since I did any testing lol

I have a Macbook Pro and I upgraded the RAM to 8GB myself very easily and it wasn't all that expensive either

I used crucial  to read the spec and they told me the exact part to buy (sold it to me) and I followed an online Crucial video to do the change over

*sweet*

Good luck!

Sean

MacBookPro 15-inch mid 2010 intel core I7,  NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M 512 MB, Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5.

This is the US link. I used them to upgrade the RAM on my Win7 machine about three years ago, they were very good.

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en

MacBook Pro 11,2,  Intel i7 4 core, 8Gb RAM, Graphics Intel Iris Pro.

iPad Pro 11.4,  256Gb, 10.5 Retina, A10X Fusion chip, Apple pencil

Desktop upgraded to Win10 64-bit, Intel i5 quad core, 8Gb RAM, NVIDIA GefORCE GT730

The Win-10 laptop is on permanent loan to my daughter......

My Flickr Album

This is the US link. I used them to upgrade the RAM on my Win7 machine about three years ago, they were very good.

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en

Seems like awfully sparse information comes out of that.  I sort of expected information on current system specs, too.  Not sure I'll go that way.

Got the MacBook and downloaded the beta file....installed...opened...all without issue.

• Staff

Hi Lon - good to see you've joined the club! :) Do you know which model of MacBook it is? I had an old MacBook Pro (15", Late 2008 model - it said on the back that it was model A1281, I think) until a couple of months ago and it worked well despite not being the latest and greatest. I upgraded it to 8GB RAM and an SSD, but only because I was doing builds of Designer on it - it previously had 4GB and I had no problems with it until I needed to build the product which uses a lot of memory! My model needed a firmware flash in order to support 8GB so keep in mind that you might need to do this too - unless yours is newer than mine! :)

I see Hils beat me to it Lon.  I was satisfied with the confirmation that the memory card they sent was a compatible match - I guess I just trusted them on that one - I didn't need any such Upgrade flash on my 2010 MacBook Pro 15" and it's still chugging along fine - Hope I've not just cursed myself saying that!

:o

MacBookPro 15-inch mid 2010 intel core I7,  NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M 512 MB, Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5.

Hi Lon - good to see you've joined the club! :) Do you know which model of MacBook it is? I had an old MacBook Pro (15", Late 2008 model - it said on the back that it was model A1281, I think) until a couple of months ago and it worked well despite not being the latest and greatest. I upgraded it to 8GB RAM and an SSD, but only because I was doing builds of Designer on it - it previously had 4GB and I had no problems with it until I needed to build the product which uses a lot of memory! My model needed a firmware flash in order to support 8GB so keep in mind that you might need to do this too - unless yours is newer than mine! :)

Hiya, MattP

It's reporting that it is a mid/late 2008 model, but I'm still not certain of the model number.  4GB of RAM, however, and 250GB HD.  It seems "good to go", but I'm not past the "open the app and take a look" stage yet.  Haven't played around with anything at all, but will certainly get around to that this week.

I have an iMac almost as old. The mac will work well. It has plenty of speed for the buck. Mine though is a 24 in, but that should not make a difference.

Gregg

OS X Version 10.14.6 iMac 27" 3.2 GHz i5- 32 GB  Huion Kamvas Pro 20

iPad Pro 12.9" IOS 13

AD = OS IOS, AP = OS IOS