You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

PLEASE give us option to change back to original (triangle) icon!

Please don‘t! The old „icons“ aren‘t icons, they have simply nothing, what an icon should have.

Furthermore, I think the icons of an app should‘t be subjected to the taste of single users. Logos are a decision of the persons/companies, which produce/own a product, and they normally have good reasons, why it looks as it looks. Logos are the official, public footprint of a product, and no company on earth will allow you officially(!) to replace them by something of your choice. Nor will they be so silly to offer different logos just to match different tastes.

By the way: Would you really recommend – or even try it –, to suggest Apple to go back to its old logo or officially allow the user to replace this logo within the GUI of its operating system or software? 

014C04EE-69B8-4AC5-AA4B-01B7D72ADD04.png

What I forgot:

You are on macOS. If the new fine logo is unbearable for you and you want the ugly old one in your dock, do this:

1. Go to your application folder, press ALT+Cmd and drag the Affinity logo to your desktop. –> You have created an „alias“.
  2. Prepare an image, just as you like it, open it in a photo editing application or in Apple’s „Preview“ and copy it (cmd+C).
  3. Go back to your Affinity alias and select it (single click).
  4. Press CMD+I to show the information panel.
  5. Select the small icon top left of the panel and paste the image (cmd+V).
  6. Close the information panel and drag the „new affinity logo“ into your dock.
  7. Dance on the table, because you’ve got a nitty gritty new logo! :)

If you feel, it is necessary, you can do this with the original application too, instead of using an alias.

• Staff
6 hours ago, andyandy3 said:

I literally took this app off my dock because this new icon design is so horrible. It's something Adobe would have made. Please give us the option again to use your original triangle app icon!  Some iOS apps allow you to choose icons, so I it must be possible for macOS.

Screen Shot 2019-07-03 at 9.20.13 PM.png

Is this really at the top of the list for feature requirements???

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

10 hours ago, Ben said:

Fixing the White Balance preset bug in the Develop Persona fades in comparison to this absolutely essential item

To be honest I frequently forget what an application's icon looks like. I remember the name and don't give a colourful-expression about the icon.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

2 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

I remember the name and don't give a colourful-expression about the icon.

I do remember what they look like, as I need to identify them along the Windows system tray when I want to switch to a different one.

But I'm happy with the current set of Affinity icons, and I don't care what Serif does with them. Except that the beta programs really need to have their icons distinguished in some way again, like they used to be :)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

The old icons were *MUCH* better than the new ones.  The new icons won't keep me from using the programs, but they don't likely make for a good impression on new users.

The document icons are even more important to get fixed, though... the current ones are so big and obtrusive that they stand out WAY too much next to other files when the preview images fail.  If this new pattern is going to be kept, please at least nest them inside a proper document icon (paper with corner folded over) to create separate document icons.

Also, as @walt.farrell pointed out, the "beta" indicator still needs to be added back to the icons for the beta builds... others have pointed that out also.

15 hours ago, Ben said:

It probably should be... fixing bugs first, fixing icons second, adding new features third?

13 hours ago, fde101 said:

fixing icons second,

Don't fix what isn't broken. Icons do not prevent anything from working. Don't care if they are Good (Beautiful), Bad or Ugly.

Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

1 hour ago, Old Bruce said:

Don't fix what isn't broken.

These points constitute the icons being "broken":

• The icons on the Mac violate the Human Interface Guidelines.
  • The document icons are the same as the application icons.

The other issues with the icons do not constitute the icons being "broken", but at least the missing "beta" indicator is something that should probably be addressed if nothing else.

Just now, fde101 said:

the missing "beta" indicator is something that should probably be addressed

1 minute ago, fde101 said:

The document icons are the same as the application icons.

100% agree with these.

Icons rarely make me think of what the Application they represent actually does for a living so to speak.

1366279237_ScreenShot2019-07-05at10_40_10AM.png.d64f1c4de0fbcc9f3b268a4ee6e2a9fe.png Three Popsicle Sticks means... What the hell does that Rocket Launching Robot do

499170346_ScreenShot2019-07-05at10_41_46AM.png.61c73b799d98731aa729bc3b0bddc536.png A Tsunami Detector perhaps

224439070_ScreenShot2019-07-05at10_41_07AM.png.5d6260c36b73052b6c204ed0fc285c21.png Painter's Palette or Colour Chooser followed by a Compass and a What the hell is that supposed to be.

3 minutes ago, Murfee said:

I can still recognise which apps are which...until I have a beta open at the same time;-)

Which is why what @fde101 said "... the missing "beta" indicator is something that should probably be addressed ..." should be addressed.

1 minute ago, Old Bruce said:

Which is why what @fde101 said "... the missing "beta" indicator is something that should probably be addressed ..." should be addressed.

I was expecting the new Publisher beta to show it after it was pointed out about the Photo one missing...I am sure they will get it sorted

On 7/4/2019 at 6:51 AM, Ben said:

Old Parkinson's Law.   People at a board meeting will argue the longest time over the size of the wastebasket.  As long as the icons open Publisher/Designer/Photo they could be purple with pink spots and we would still have three splendid apps!!!!

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

New icons are on the roadmap :4_joy:

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

• 1 year later...