You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Export as JPEG ICC embed questions

Hi,

I am new to Affinity Photo so just starting to learn about it. I am using Windows 7 x64 as an operating system.

I have been working with photos that are in the ProPhotoRGB color space, which I can see confirmed in the top bar of Affinity Photo.

I have been exporting as a JPEG with the sRGB IEC61966-2.1 selected, with the "Embed ICC profile", and "Embed metadata" checked in the "More" panel.

When I open the resulting jpeg in Affinity Photo or Adobe Photoshop the colorspace is reported as expected: sRGB IEC61966-2.1, but when I use Windows Properties dialog to view the "Color Representation" tag it reads "Uncalibrated".

When I use Adobe Photoshop and its "save for Web" function with the corresponding Embed ICC profile and convert to sRGB settings the jpeg that is produced will be recognized in the Windows "Properties" dialog "Color Representation" tag as "sRGB".

Is there a way to make sure that the embedded colorspace is available to Windows Properties as well as various online browsers etc.?

Thank you!

Hi,

I am adding some screen shots to illustrate what I have attempted to describe.

The two JPEGs seem to have the sRGB label embedded so that an application such as Affinity Photo (or Photoshop) may recognize the colorspace, but Windows Properties can not see the label.

My concern is that web browsers and or print shops may not correctly identify the colorspace and the display will differ from what was intended.

Is there a way to exprt JPEGs from Affinity Photo with the sRGB label made available to Windows Properties etc.?

Thank you!

1-Uncalibrated.jpg

1-Affinity.jpg

1-Photoshop.jpg

Hi,

Thank you for reviewing my question.

I have uploaded the following files:

1) A .tif in the ProPhotoRGB colorspace which I used as a source for exporting a jpeg in the sRGB colorspace.

2) A .jpg exported from Affinity Photo, which does seem to have been converted to the intended sRGB colorspace.

3) A screen shot showing my selections during the export.

4) A screen shot showing that Windows Properties does not recognize the sRGB Color Representation label.

I am using Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1 with all the current updates, and Affinity Photo 1.7.1.404

Thank you for any help or insights you may offer.

1-Affinity-test_Export.jpg

1-Affinity-test_Properties.jpg

1-Affinity-test_ProPhoto-to-sRGB.jpg

1-Affinity-test_ProPhoto-to-sRGB.tif

Hi,

Out of curiosity I just tried saving an TIFF image in the sRGB colorspace to a JPEG in the sRGB colorspace and the results are the same. Windows Properties notes that the Color Representation is "Uncalibrated".

I have hesitated to call this a "bug" and assumed I needed to learn about some choice that I have not made while exporting. Perhaps it is a "bug" in my Windows 7 Pro x64 install, but my OS install seems to be fine. It is updated with the latest updates etc., and works as expected with all my other software etc.

The lack of interest in this thread of posts, as demonstrated in this sub forum category, makes me wonder if I should re-post the info in the "bugs" section to see if anyone will take a look at the matter.

I am still hoping to learn of an easy fix, by some choice that must be made while exporting, but all the options that I have encountered seem familiar, and it seems like I have made the appropriate choices.

I will appreciate any help or insights that may be offered.

Thank you!

On 7/5/2019 at 2:30 AM, DWright said:

....when I export one of my images with an embedded profile is is then shown in the file properties as shown below

As a test I opened a RAW file in Affinity Photo and "developed" it. When I exported the photo as a JPEG it was tagged properly with the sRGB tag.  So that seems similar to what you have observed.

In all my tests where I open a file that has already been assigned another Colorspace the exports with sRGB conversion and embedded ICC profile are mis tagged with the "Uncalibrated" label.

Windows file info window can not always provide a color profile. Maybe Affinity uses a non-standard way to write information about an image that Windows can not read . You must check in another program. See the video below.

Dell Precision T7910, 2x Xeon E5-2630v3, 128 GB RAM DDR4, Quadro K6000, Dell UP2716D, Huion Inspiroy Q11K V2 Pen Tablet, WIN 10 PRO
Dell Precision T3640, Xeon W1290, 128 GB RAM DDR4, Quadro RTX 5000, Eizo CG319X, Huion Inspiroy Q11K V2 Pen Tablet, WIN 10 PRO FWS
-----

Graphic software: Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher - Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom Classic, InDesign, Illustrator, Acrobat - Zoner Photo Studio - Topaz Gigapixel Ai, Denoise Ai, Sharpen Ai