You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How can I exclude the em dash as an acceptable character to include in hyphenation in Publisher?

For example, if I had a sentence like this.

Crocodiles, alligators—they both look the same to me 

It seems to assume "alligators—they" is all one word. I've had it insert a  hyphenation dash right before the em dash, which looks rather ugly. :38_worried:

That is the correct way to use an em dash. Very rarely would you use spacing before or after. It is not a hyphen and it is not "joining" those two words.
Alternatively, use space, en dash, space.
Check out en dash and em dash rules on Wikipedia or a grammar/punctuation website.

Edited by MrDavidW
More information

Okay, maybe I didn't explain it well enough.

If I have something like this

alligators—they

and it happens to fall where Publisher thinks it should hyphenate, it does this, breaking it at the em dash.

alligators-

—they

Publisher is inserting the hyphen, not me. It adds a hyphen before the em dash.

I've always inserted em dashes without spaces before or after. Perhaps you can use spaces on either side of an em dash?

3 hours ago, vwatson said:

I've always inserted em dashes without spaces before or after. Perhaps you can use spaces on either side of an em dash?

em dash is american thing so I do not know it well.. but you are not opposed to use spaces with it. Possibly thin spaces would do.

That hyphenation thing is something devs should correct. Meanwhile I would just finish the design and search then all occurrences and fix manually. Or search-replace em-dash with thin-space-em-dash-thin space.

Edit: Thin space as all similar are non-breaking, so no cigar. But zero-width-space works!

4 hours ago, Fixx said:

em dash is american thing so I do not know it well..

English (all varieties), not specifically American :)

Good idea to use a zero-width-space, Fixx!

And yes, adding the hyphen seesm like a hyphenation bug, to me.

@vwatson: You should create a new bug report topic in the appropriate subforum (Mac, Windows) of Report a Bug in Affinity Publisher to ensure that Serif knows about it and gets it logged with the developers.

Also, yes, you can use a space around an em-dash if you want, but depending on which style guide you believe in, it may be incorrect to do so :)  

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1