Sign in to follow this  
desktoppublishinguser

Does Affinity Publisher open/import InDesign documents?

Will Affinity Publisher open/import InDesign documents?  

If Affinity Publisher imports IDML files it would be a help, but it would also mean that I need to open over 300 InDesign documents and then export them as IDML.  When I upgrade my Mac OS, InDesign CS6 will no longer function, and I cannot afford the subscription cost to upgrade InDesign.  I am looking at Affinity or Quark as alternatives. Markzware makes a converter from InDesign to Quark, but it costs $200, plus the competitive upgrade price to buy Quark for $450.  If I can open InDesign documents directly in Affinity, it would be a major cost and time saver.  Thank you for your assistance.

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums, @desktoppublishinguser.

A bit of forum searching for InDesign or IDML would find many posts and discussions about this, and with a bit more effort the responses from Serif.

The current plan, expressed by Serif, is that Publisher will allow import of IDML documents at some point in the future. No support of InDesign documents is planned, from what they've said.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.239), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.2.464 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.2.4464 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.3.475 Beta

Been asked and answered several times...

There will be an IDML import added at a later date.

There is a free script for ID that can process a whole folder or drive and export ID files into an IDML copy. That IDML can be imported into QXP directly now, or eventually into APub once it is added.

6 hours ago, MikeW said:

There is a free script for ID that can process a whole folder or drive and export ID files into an IDML copy

Have you tested if it saves IDML right next to original when run as batch process? Would be nice it it were in the right place.