You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Will not snap to lines on masterpage when preview mode turned off

260977471_ScreenShot2019-07-03at2_14_50PM.png.a34d282bc318488e94eb00bcd9a3ea41.png This is with preview mode turned off. When I drag this it will not snap to the horizontal dividing line. It only snaps to a horizontal red line a little above the horizontal dividing line (the center of the page?) With preview off, that's the only red line that appear.

As soon as I turn on preview mode a red horizontal line ALSO appears when I drag the edge over the horizontal divider and it will happily snap to that. I have not touched the exceedingly complex snap manager, wtf is the candidate list versus immediate layers, anyway, sigh.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that the horizontal and vertical lines are defined on the master page. 

I'm surprised that Preview Mode has any effect. As far as I know it shouldn't.

And for me, on Windows, it doesn't have an effect on your scenario.

For me: Objects on a Master Page are never snapping candidates for objects on document pages, and therefore I can't snap to them.

54 minutes ago, kentsor said:

wtf is the candidate list versus immediate layers, anyway,

See the Snapping Candidates section of this Publisher Help page for Snapping: https://affinity.help/publisher/en-US.lproj/pages/DesignAids/snapping.html

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

20 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

For me: Objects on a Master Page are never snapping candidates for objects on document pages, and therefore I can't snap to them.

Well, does it make sense that master page objects are not snapping candidates ? It does not make sense to me if they weren't, what would be the point of that ?

I have the boxes for the content defined on the master page and then I drop in a group of text and images and they snap to the boxes. If that group did not snap to the master page boxes the work would be impossibly tedious.

That's a good point.

I will clarify and amend my earlier statement. Text Frames, and Picture Frames, on Master Pages are snapping candidates. They are objects that Publisher expects you to interact with on document pages. Other objects (rectangles, lines, ...) on Master Pages are not snapping candidates (in my experience), probably because they are supposed to be static and Publisher doesn't think you should interact with them.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Pauls said:

Using the 'All Layers' option and those lines should become available for snapping.

Thanks, Paul. But I'm not sure where I would find that "All Layers" option. I don't see that as a snapping option for Publisher on Windows, for example.

-- Walt
PC:

Ah. Thanks, Jeremy.

-- Walt
PC: