You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello,

I bought Affinity Publisher recently and I am almost shocked that this program is not able to import/place text files. I think Publisher is meant to be a DTP program, and to place text files is a basic requirement. In my opinion, it must be possible to import/place at least doc/docx, odt, txt and rtf. I've never heard of a publisher who writes the text directly into his/her publishing program.

If Affinity Publisher really wants to compete with Indesign, XPress, etc., text import is an absolute must.

Please provide such import features as quickly as possible. Actually, in my opinion the program is unusable for folders, print media, books, etc.

@Klaus88

Welcome to the Affinity forums.

1 hour ago, Klaus88 said:

text import is an absolute must

Agreed, and Publisher can, with (currently) certain limitations!  .docx is certainly possible and I believe a number of the others you mention can also be imported.

Jeff

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

From the online help file:

Importing text from a file lets you introduce already existing text into your publication.

Typically text is placed into a chosen text frame but you can also import text as artistic text or path text.

Affinity Publisher can import text files in Microsoft Word (.docx), Rich Text Format (.rtf) and plain text formats (.txt).

To import text into an empty text frame:
  • With the Frame Text Tool active, do one of the following:
    • From the File menu, select Place. In the pop-up dialog, navigate to and select a file, and click Open.
    • Drag and drop the file from a folder on your operating system onto the text frame.
    • Paste (V) previously copied text from Microsoft Word, Adobe InDesign or other text source.
    • -click the text frame, and select Paste.

Selecting multiple text files to import will load the text files into the Place Images panel. From here, you can drop the files onto a new text frame as you hover over the frame.

Frame Text Tool To import a text file's contents into a populated text frame at a specific location:
  • Select the Frame Text Tool.
  • Click at a chosen text position to make an insertion point.
  • From the File menu, select Place as described previously.
Move Tool To replace all frame text in a text frame with a text file's contents:
  • Select the Move Tool.
  • Select the text frame, ensuring that you don't double-click it (making an insertion point).
  • From the File menu, select Place as previously.
To import text as artistic text or path text:
  • From the artistic or path text's insertion point, select File>Place.

SEE ALSO:

intel core i5,  16GB 128Gb ssd win10 Pro Huion new 1060plus.

philips 272p 2560x1440px on intel HD2500 onboard graphics

Razer Tartarus Chroma

You have to place the document in a text frame then Shift Click on the little triangle near the bottom right (on the side) of that text frame, this will automatically make new pages with the text in it.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• 1 month later...
On 7/4/2019 at 4:24 AM, dutchshader said:

Affinity Publisher can import text files in Microsoft Word (.docx), Rich Text Format (.rtf) and plain text formats (.txt).

The odt format (used by OpenOffice, LibreOffice, and others) really should be added as well.

3 hours ago, J@HWC said:

The odt format (used by OpenOffice, LibreOffice, and others) really should be added as well.

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums, J@HWC.

I agree, and I suggested that earlier in the beta. In the meantime, note that LibreOffice et al can also create .docx files, which will import into Affinity Publisher.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1