You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

"Copy as SVG" is broken

6 hours ago, seabirdr said:

copy as SVG  then paste it into figma and get a bitmap.

What?

I can't copy SVGs out of Designer. Despite having that preference set to on it always copies PNG files.

And yeah, funnily enough I need that feature because I work with Figma (which also has that feature, but in non broken), but that doesn't matter, because I need to get the SVGs out of Designer first.

Right now I have to use the regular export menu. This is a hassle, because I have to pick a file name and have to make sure that it just exports the selected area.

my name jeff lol

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi Fettiemettie,

I've just tried this myself using FreeClipViewer and SVG files are being placed on the clipboard, as well as raster files (for applications without vector support). See attached screenshot. What application are you trying to paste into, is it Figma?

I noticed that Figma will only put 'text' on the clipboard according to the FreeClipViewer so will only paste SVG data contained in that. I've found that Inkscape won't even paste anything into Figma either, so their clipboard support seems very limited. I did a quick test of just copying some SVG code from notepad and that gets pasted into Figma. 

I'll pass it on to development and see if they can get the 'Text' type added to the clipboard as well when using Copy As SVG.

Free Clipboard Viewer 3.0.jpg

9 hours ago, Sean P said:

Hi Fettiemettie,

I've just tried this myself using FreeClipViewer and SVG files are being placed on the clipboard, as well as raster files (for applications without vector support). See attached screenshot. What application are you trying to paste into, is it Figma?

I noticed that Figma will only put 'text' on the clipboard according to the FreeClipViewer so will only paste SVG data contained in that. I've found that Inkscape won't even paste anything into Figma either, so their clipboard support seems very limited. I did a quick test of just copying some SVG code from notepad and that gets pasted into Figma. 

I'll pass it on to development and see if they can get the 'Text' type added to the clipboard as well when using Copy As SVG.

Free Clipboard Viewer 3.0.jpg

Sounds great!

my name jeff lol