You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How do I resample an image in APub

I still can't work out how to resample a low res image in Publisher. For example, I place a photo and resize it, and it is now 100ppi. In ID I can just edit the picture in P/shop, resample it to 300ppi, save it and then relink in ID. Is there an equivalent method in Affinity? One that increases the resolution but keeps the size the same.

Windows 10 Pro, I5 3.3G PC 16G RAM

33 minutes ago, MickRose said:

I still can't work out how to resample a low res image in Publisher. For example, I place a photo and resize it, and it is now 100ppi. In ID I can just edit the picture in P/shop, resample it to 300ppi, save it and then relink in ID. Is there an equivalent method in Affinity? One that increases the resolution but keeps the size the same.

Hi MickRose,

You might not need to do this, Publisher displays the dpi of the resized image in the context toolbar, along with the scale % if it is a jpg or png etc, your image should still be at the original resolution. It is keeping it in relation to the dpi you set for the document. I have attached a screenshot that shows the resource manager for one of my files that has numerous images that have all been resized in Publisher, the dpi's are all over the place :) however if you select an image the panel on the right will show the image's original dpi. The overall document is set to 300dpi.

If you were to resample your 100dpi image to 300dpi in Photo, then resize it back to take up the same space in Publisher that it was originally then you would probably find it back to 100dpi, at this point frustration sets in :)

Resource Manager.png

1 hour ago, Murfee said:

It is keeping it in relation to the dpi you set for the document

So I have a question:  If your original img is 360ppi.  You place it and do not alter the size at all - but your document resolution is 300ppi, what happens to those 60 pixels, in publisher and at print stage?

Microsoft - Like entering your home and opening the stainless steel kitchen door, with a Popup: 'Do you really want to open this door'? Then looking for the dishwasher and finding it stored in the living room where you have to download a water supply from the app store, then you have to buy microsoft compliant soap, remove the carpet only to be told that it is glued to the floor.. Don't forget to make multiple copies of your front door key and post them to all who demand access to all the doors inside your home including the windows and outside shed.

Apple - Like entering your home and opening the oak framed Kitchen door and finding the dishwasher right in front you ready to be switched on, soap supplied, and water that comes through a water softener.  Ah the front door key is yours and it only needs to open the front door.

Hi Chris24 - resampling down happens all the time in making PDF files. It's done to reduce file size and it has no effect on the printed image quality as long as the correct ppi is used.

It's upsampling that I'm having a problem with.

2 minutes ago, MickRose said:

Hi Murfee - I have an object that is 100ppi at the size I want to use. The document is 300ppi. I export as PDF and the object is 100ppi. There is no resampling.

The resampling works behind the scenes for me, I don't see any deterioration if I print or export the file. It does not physically change the original dpi of your image. The entire document remains at 300dpi

If you need to change your resolution then for now the only way I know is to edit it in Photo, the round tripping between Photo & Publisher has not been implemented yet. Make your changes in Photo then update your links.

18 minutes ago, Chris26 said:

So I have a question:  If your original img is 360ppi.  You place it and do not alter the size at all - but your document resolution is 300ppi, what happens to those 60 pixels, in publisher and at print stage?

Thats an interesting question Chris, all I know is that if my document is set to 300dpi, that is what outputs, I don't make any changes to the individual images dpi, if I export to PDF, Publisher takes care of it, I could downsample images to 300 dpi but I have not had the need yet... some clever maths going on :)

10 minutes ago, Murfee said:

was your image originally 100dpi before you resized it in Publisher?

The original file was 300ppi but I don't think that matters. Any image that is enlarged in APub will lose resolution in the PDF. I think that is to be expected. The only option is to open the image on Photo or P/shop or any other image editor and do all the resampling there, and then relink in APub. The Photo persona and the Edit in Photo can't be used because the whole page is being looked at rather than just the image. I think that needs addressing. If there was a link on the Resources box that be better.

1 minute ago, MickRose said:

The original file was 300ppi but I don't think that matters. Any image that is enlarged in APub will lose resolution in the PDF. I think that is to be expected. The only option is to open the image on Photo or P/shop or any other image editor and do all the resampling there, and then relink in APub. The Photo persona and the Edit in Photo can't be used because the whole page is being looked at rather than just the image. I think that needs addressing. If there was a link on the Resources box that be better.

I agree if you need to enlarge the image in Publisher you will lose quality, it will be much easier when the round tripping is implemented. They are working on this, the edit in Publisher has appeared in the file menu of the latest Photo beta, but is not working yet.

2 minutes ago, Murfee said:

the edit in Publisher has appeared in the file menu of the latest Photo beta,

I'm not sure that would help. Much better to be able to edit the image in Photo from the Resource Manager or with a right click or from the Context Toolbar.

12 minutes ago, MickRose said:

I'm not sure that would help. Much better to be able to edit the image in Photo from the Resource Manager or with a right click or from the Context Toolbar.

Sorry MickRose, I have been getting a lot of interruptions, so my train of thought has gone out of the window a bit... apologies.

You would just select your image then file>edit in Photo, make your edits in Photo, then while still in Photo you would do the same file>edit in Publisher. This seems to be pretty fast, you might even be able to set up a keyboard shortcut... but I haven't looked into this

A direct link from the Resource Manager would be handy as well if you were already in it, otherwise the edit in Photo seems like it would be faster

2 hours ago, MickRose said:

Hi Chris24 - resampling down happens all the time in making PDF files. It's done to reduce file size and it has no effect on the printed image quality as long as the correct ppi is used.

It's upsampling that I'm having a problem with.

Yes I know, but a pdf gets rid of unnecessary data, and that is why its size gest reduced, but it never interferse with the resolution unless you tell it to.  My question was about printing at home from publisher, what does publisher do with those extra 60 pixels if your document res is at 300 and your image at 360?  That's all.

2 hours ago, Murfee said:

Thats an interesting question Chris, all I know is that if my document is set to 300dpi, that is what outputs, I don't make any changes to the individual images dpi, if I export to PDF, Publisher takes care of it, I could downsample images to 300 dpi but I have not had the need yet... some clever maths going on :)

I think I will get my 8x magnifier out and do some interesting tests, I am curious.

Microsoft - Like entering your home and opening the stainless steel kitchen door, with a Popup: 'Do you really want to open this door'? Then looking for the dishwasher and finding it stored in the living room where you have to download a water supply from the app store, then you have to buy microsoft compliant soap, remove the carpet only to be told that it is glued to the floor.. Don't forget to make multiple copies of your front door key and post them to all who demand access to all the doors inside your home including the windows and outside shed.

Apple - Like entering your home and opening the oak framed Kitchen door and finding the dishwasher right in front you ready to be switched on, soap supplied, and water that comes through a water softener.  Ah the front door key is yours and it only needs to open the front door.

I think I've found a good way to do this. Select the image to be resampled, then click Edit Image. Enable the Photo persona, Resize Document - set the size and/or ppi - then save. Close the tab for the newly changed image. The image in the document is now resampled correctly.

7 minutes ago, Murfee said:

You would just select your image then file>edit in Photo, make your edits in Photo, then while still in Photo you would do the same file>edit in Publisher.

That wouldn't work because the whole page is selected in Photo, not just the image.

Just now, Chris26 said:

Yes I know, but a pdf gets rid of unnecessary data, and that is why its size gest reduced, but it never interferse with the resolution unless you tell it to.  My question was about printing at home from publisher, what does publisher do with those extra 60 pixels if your document res is at 300 and your image at 360?  That's all.

I think I will get my 8x magnifier out and do some interesting tests, I am curious.

Ha ha, are you going to count the dots :).... I usually downsize images in Publisher, so my theory will not work for upsized images

2 minutes ago, MickRose said:

That wouldn't work because the whole page is selected in Photo, not just the image

Well that is a bit of a pain, if you have an image selected then logic says you want to edit the image only in Photo to have the full use of the tools.

Glad you have found a way...that was going to be my next suggestion, you saved me a bit of typing :)

1 hour ago, Murfee said:

Ha ha, are you going to count the dots

Actually yes, well almost, an 8x magnifier is what I used to study negatives once, now I use it to look at printed images where one can see pixels, sort of:), in fact so close that I can make out individual dots.

48 minutes ago, Chris26 said:

Yes I know, but a pdf gets rid of unnecessary data, and that is why its size gest reduced, but it never interferse with the resolution unless you tell it to.  My question was about printing at home from publisher, what does publisher do with those extra 60 pixels if your document res is at 300 and your image at 360? 

It is comparable to PDF exporting and depends on printer driver. Simple drivers push all data to the printer, more sophisticated ones may let you choose full/optimised/draft options.

3 hours ago, MickRose said:

Hi Chris26 - to be strictly accurate you're not looking at pixels - you're looking at printed screen dots. Pixels are strictly a file/computer thing. But who cares?

yes yes I know, hence the smiley face after the word 'pixel:)'

4 hours ago, Murfee said:

If you need to change your resolution then for now the only way I know is to edit it in Photo, the round tripping between Photo & Publisher has not been implemented yet. Make your changes in Photo then update your links.

If it is a linked image file (JPG, TIFF, PNG) then simply select it in Publisher with the Move Tool, and click the Edit Image button on the Context Toolbar which will open it for editing in a new tab. Switch to the Photo Persona, change the resolution, Save (which will update the original file), and close that tab. No need to round-trip to the Photo application. The image should update automatically in the Publisher document if you have chosen to have linked files updated automatically, or Publisher will prompt you to open the Resource Manager to do the update manually.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

13 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

If it is a linked image file (JPG, TIFF, PNG) then simply select it in Publisher with the Move Tool, and click the Edit Image button on the Context Toolbar which will open it for editing in a new tab. Switch to the Photo Persona, change the resolution, Save (which will update the original file), and close that tab. No need to round-trip to the Photo application. The image should update automatically in the Publisher document if you have chosen to have linked files updated automatically, or Publisher will prompt you to open the Resource Manager to do the update manually.

Thanks Walt, I ended up waffling due to constant interruptions here, I hadn't got around to offering that suggestion (I know it should have been the first option) :), MickRose managed to sort it though