You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Font Auto Activation For Extensis Suitcase - Let's Make Extensis Take Notice!

This is more of a request for users of the Affinity suite to badger Extensis for them to start to think about producing an auto activation plugin for Suitcase for the fonts used in an existing document. I tweeted Extensis about this a couple of days ago and they said it would be something they would think about if there was enough interest in it, obviously they already do this for the CC suite, but as my company are slowly switching over to Affinity (already using Publisher extensively... working on the other two programs getting implemented as well), this would be a very welcome feature indeed. With over 2 million users of Affinity, it's certainly something that should be taken seriously at this point, so let's make them take notice!

Not sure, just spitballing to try and alert the Affinity devs that this is a feature that would be most welcome by design studios. Also wanted to alert Extensis should be aware of this fantastic software... never say never, because there may be another way of doing it other than plugins if they never offer plugin support, Affinity asked me to post here and Extensis replied saying that if there's demand it's something they'd look into, if Affinity can link three programs together without leaving the one you're working in currently then this shouldn't be too much of an issue with their development skills. Maybe they could look at their own font handling software, I know my design studio would be interested if they did.

I don't think plugins would necessarily be required. The OS and the implementation might be different, but I am able to get auto activation with Typeface, a simple font manager for Mac. All I have to do is check "Auto Activation for other apps" in the Typeface preferences, and it works great without any kind of set up in Publisher.

This is a great way of handling it... I wish Suitcase did this rather than using plugins TBH, much more elegant solution, I've heard good things about Typeface, we've been using Suitcase for years, just upgraded to the latest one, you'd have thought they may have implemented something like that, thank you for your constructive answer, I may actually look at Typeface for our studio if Extensis don't pull their socks up.

It is probably still simple compared to the established and more expensive apps, but its capability kind of surprised me, in that it has grown since I bought it. I only recently just started using it more seriously a few weeks ago, when I realized I could now have active font folders stored anywhere, including on network drives. So my recommendation is hesitant in that I have not had extensive experience with it.

On 7/6/2019 at 5:25 PM, Peejee said:

I always used FontExplorer for my Adobe App's.

But for Serif App's I used Rightfont 5. It works very wel with all the Serif software include Publisher include Auto Activation. :-)

Great stuff, thanks for the feedback, I'll check Rightfont 5 out as well.

• 5 months later...

I use Typeface at home. The interface is quite different than traditional font managers but better in some ways. It activates Affinity apps, scrolls faster, and uses tags rather than folders to organize fonts. All good things. I'm purging old utilities like Suitcase as I purge Adobe from my personal workflow.