You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

This is a response to a question by user SunRiseMoon on July 02. 2019. A quick basic drawing lesson.

As of this writing, shapes in Affinity designer have 2 attributes, the stroke and fill. Those are defined by vector curve(s). To be filled, those curves can be either open or closed, as long as they surround a 2D area. 

But if they are open, any "boolean" operation, such as add or divide, will close the curves between the end point of each. This often produces unusable shapes.

In Affinity, shapes ar made frome a series of nodes, each one connecting to only those adjacent in the series. The nodes cannot connect to more than 2 other nodes. There is no branching of a curve object.

In order to get filled areas of color, if the shape is to be made from the curves that are already there, the curves must be selected, and thru the node tool, joined, and then closed. Sometimes one may need to duplicate existing curves, and cut out sections w. the node tool. These can then be used to create an area that meets shapes that are already there.

In the owl face example, various strokes were given varying thicknesses by manipulating the pressure curve. Those were "expanded," and added together to form ink like strokes. 3 of the original vector strokes were closed, and so those pen lines could have a fill assigned to them, and for smooth continuous areas of color. Other lines were unclosed shapes positioned either above of below the closed shapes. When the shapes were filled, most were below in the layer hierarchy, and so were hidded by the fill.

I selected the "beak" line. See the copies go thru these steps. The line is closed. The closing line is extended upwards for a more natural appearance. A fill is assigned, and the stroke set to "none." the unclosed curve is then matched to the filled curves position, and given a varying line weight.

At a reduced size, the beak group was placed over the face.

OwlHeadStart.afdesign

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

6 hours ago, gdenby said:

This is a response to a question by user SunRiseMoon on July 02. 2019.

Isn't it better to insert a link to that thread?

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

1 hour ago, Pšenda said:

Isn't it better to insert a link to that thread?

Sorry, never ocurred to me that I could do that.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet