You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Unreliable "Rasterize layer" action, partial rasterization

With 1.7.* there is some cases when "Rasterize layer" on group with nested effects rasterizes only PART of the group. Half of the final, rasterized layer missing effects, that was active inside group before rasterization. See screenshots before and after rasterization, notice color/lightness change. This bad rasterization can be seen on any zoom level and also goes into save/exported file too (after rasterize), so this is not rendering issue

Happens both in Windows and Mac (without Metal enabled), also in betas. This is really critical, since this "partial rasterization" can easily go unnoticesd down the road (sometimes difference is subtle), requiring a lot of additional work after several actions applied on such badly rasterized layer already. Hope this will be fixed soon... rasterization is a basic thing, which should be 100% reliable for stable workflows. See attached file with this problem to reproduce

CriticalRasterizationBug.afphoto.zip

309890001_Scr20190703_0015_3_AffinityPhoto.png.ce031fa9d8f4a3cf76c7717ccd3c6a13.png

1897636261_Scr20190703_0015_4_AffinityPhoto.png.930659e4f265c737baa5322a1d23551e.png

It is your fill layers doing something weird, I rasterized one of them

426254894_ScreenShot2019-07-03at12_40_48PM.png.7f1d3fa263a68fcf7d4abf6fe5e29bd0.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

It`s not weird. It`s a Fill layer (if you check the file i attached), so it always fill whole document. It should not be rasterized (it`s intentionally a Fill), it should cover whole area. This is very convinient when you change the size of the document - Fill layers just always cover it all.

And it covers the whole area when you open document - no squares... And so should be during rasterization (i suppose). 

See screenshot, it`s not a pixel layer. But you are right - looks like it`s "Fill" mode is ignored during rasterization, which lead to squares... Obviously rasterization should respect layer type in the same way as in usual compositing 

2019-07-03_23-07-13.png

Yes it does fill the whole document but... do you have some sort of masking going on, L2:Masks(erase) and white mask in your layers?

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

All masks can be seen on last screenshot. There is no other masks.
And all this masks cover whole area of document. You can activate arrow tool and click on each layer/mask to see it bounds. Each and every mask in this document cover whole area
You can also tell this looking at screenshot before rasterization - there is no squares, each pixel is affected in the same way

On 7/3/2019 at 10:41 PM, Old Bruce said:

It is your fill layers doing something weird, I rasterized one of them

Just hit another similar case (with wrong rasterization) and... you were definitely right! Seems this is the real problem with rasterization - or, better to say, with Fill layers
Some Fill layers after rasterisation receives wrong bounds! They should cover whole document (and most of them do) - but some, after rasterization, became smaller.

So the problem is how Fill layers rasterized - there is a bug with final bounds of pixel layer.

So a temporary workaround for anyone hitting this - in case of rasterization problems just rasterize fills inside group and fix bounds manually... then global rasterization will do the job right. Finally :)

I am on Win10 not on Mac

Lab mode..

same problem,

random no  use with  group or live filter. Not only with this last  version,

the random square finish by disappear another click.1134931949_Randomsquares.thumb.png.2ec6cd40f4cf844775280b7fd0c3262a.png

This square is so typical I think that a developer should quickly find, this reminds me of an internal treatment square by square

? ...!