You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I'm getting to grips with Publisher, and find I've a few queries related to my needs.

I'm setting up a document to use as a template for a range of future documents which will have master pages in common. These documents will include text, svg chart images and photos, and will be saved as pdf to be made available as a download. The resulting files need to be suitable to both view on a screen and also printed using whatever printer the user has available.  I'm aware that if I was setting up a document to be used in a particular way, then I would choose settings accordingly when setting up a new document. 

In Document Setup, I need to know whether to opt for web or print settings, and which is the best colour format to use for a document which users will be screen viewing and/or printing. 

Also, in an existing document, is it possible to change the setting from print to web on a permanent basis if needed?

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Hi @kazrbutler

If I was doing this I would choose print (the first option, not press ready) for me the colours default to RGB/8 with the profile sRGB IEC61966-2.1. This is a standard colour profile that works well on displays, even if they are not colour managed. It is also quite good for general printing, either at home or in the office. 

As your files will be containing a mixture of items including photos this should give the best all round results. 

Try a sample file to see if it works the way you want it to.

Thanks @Murfee.

Once I've got a document to that stage, I will test. Currently still setting up the Master pages. Layout is an occasional activity for me, so it generally takes me a while - as much because I keep changing my mind about what I need to include. I don't mind having to start from scratch occasionally, as I often find that is a good way to consolidate my learning, especially with regard to what order to do things. I learn a lot by making mistakes!

Would be useful to know whether it is possible to change that initial setting though. I have colleagues (Pageplus users) who publish the same documents online and professionally printed.

3 hours ago, kazrbutler said:

Would be useful to know whether it is possible to change that initial setting though. I have colleagues (Pageplus users) who publish the same documents online and professionally printed.

You can change it under Document Setup, make sure that convert is selected