You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can't preview afdesign files in Finder

Hi

I can no longer preview afdesign files from finder on the mac, I just get a giant icon where the design preview should be. I think this may be since the upgrade. Also, the file icon is actually the afphoto one I don't know why all my afdesign files have the afphoto icon! Can anyone help? image.thumb.png.caae5e5a0f0112817e1a3c93994433b3.png

image.jpeg

Yes, macOS gets confused, kind nasty influenced, by Affinity file types and it needs user action to fix it.
I had noticed that all .DNG files and the  2 oldest of .CR2 files want to get opened with Affinity Publisher.
Though their file types are neither actually Affinity typical nor do I AfPhoto installed.

782154706_afpub-dng.jpg.14b4e16ca2c3a91042a279d1ee3335c8.jpg

2080163664_afpub-raw.jpg.507077032129ee79eb07572a9c98cf5c.jpg

Also the quicklook preview for real Affinity documents has never worked for me:

2051080031_afpub-quicklook.jpg.80a9caa837ebe2db25a67d4245f0a515.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Just a stab in the dark here; The folder may not have Show Icon Preview set, select the folder and hit Command + J to get View > Show View Options for that folder.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Yes, right. Actually I don't want the finder icon as preview but in quicklook.
Remaining in the dark: In my usual finder list I do prefer the Affinity icons: A tiny page preview wouldn't inform me really. With app icon I can distinguish layout files much faster which are stored between exported pdfs.

Does for you quicklook show an .afpubs preview in your 10.12. – or in 10.14. only? And if in 10.12., does it show 1 page only (= the preview icon?), or does quicklook for .afpub show more than 1 title picture, like it does for PDFs, emails and movies?

7 minutes ago, thomaso said:

Does for you quicklook show an .afpubs preview in your 10.12. – or in 10.14. only? And if in 10.12., does it show 1 page only (= the preview icon?), or does quicklook for .afpub show more than 1 title picture, like it does for PDFs, emails and movies?

I get quicklook in both OS 10.12 and 10.14.

I only get the first page.

Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

6 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

The folder may not have Show Icon Preview set, select the folder and hit Command + J to get View > Show View Options for that folder.

5 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

I get quicklook in both OS 10.12 and 10.14.

I only get the first page. 

Thank you Bruce, with your 3 parameters I got aware of a 4th condition:

Affinity Application Preferences > General > Save thumbnail with documents.

Now I can set what I want:
– preview in finders list view style:  NO
– preview w. space (quicklook): YES
– preview in finders other view styles: YES

9 minutes ago, thomaso said:

– preview w. cmd-space (quicklook): YES

Huh?

When I am in the finder I just select the file and hit the space bar, no Command key needed. Command + Space is set up to bring up that Spotlight Search function here.

9 hours ago, ShelleyP said:

I just get a giant icon where the design preview should be.

ShelleyP, can you make your previews appear with these two settings mentioned in the last post: one in Affinity Designer Prefs, the other in Finder (cmd-J)?

9 hours ago, ShelleyP said:

the file icon is actually the afphoto one I don't know why all my afdesign files have the afphoto icon!

When you control-(right)-click on a file in finder: what application is on top of the fly-out list in "Open With..." for a AfDesigner document?

If it says first Affinity Photo then select an AfDesigner file in Finder > Cmd- i > Open With: in the pull-down menu select your wanted Affinity Designer app version + then click underneath on "Change All". (or similar wordings, because I see it only in my German OS)

Restart your mac.

3 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

space bar, no Command key

Yes! and thanks again. I just changed it in my recent post.

20 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

Just a stab in the dark here; The folder may not have Show Icon Preview set, select the folder and hit Command + J to get View > Show View Options for that folder.

Hi just checked and Show Icon Preview is set. 

Thanks will look at your next suggestions now....

14 hours ago, thomaso said:

If it says first Affinity Photo then select an AfDesigner file in Finder > Cmd- i > Open With: in the pull-down menu select your wanted Affinity Designer app version + then click underneath on "Change All". (or similar wordings, because I see it only in my German OS)

Thanks - this has solved another problem I had in that double clicking on file from finder would open afdesign file in afphoto. The icon is still the wrong icon but after doing what you suggested, the file does now open in affinity designer so that is one thing solved thank you. Now I will go back to look at the other suggestions for the preview issue.....