You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Edit and replace pictures in Publisher

Hello, hope you can help me. I have a brochure in Publisher with many placed photos in RGB as JPG. I want to change them to CMYK and TIFF? What is the best way in Publisher? So far i worked with ID, here it was no problem with the function "edit with". Did I miss anything?

Place.pdf

iMac 27'', Mac OS X Ventura 13.2.1 (22D68)

2 hours ago, md_berlin said:

Hello, hope you can help me. I have a brochure in Publisher with many placed photos in RGB as JPG. I want to change them to CMYK and TIFF? What is the best way in Publisher? So far i worked with ID, here it was no problem with the function "edit with". Did I miss anything?

Place.pdf

Firstly, what I do know.  Convertng a jpeg to a tiff format has no advantages at all when it comes to quality, output and editing.  All you do is increase the file size from about 7 or 10 Mb to up to 20 or 40 Mb.  There is no point doing this. It has no advantage at all.  Changing the colour profile of a document is found in 'Documet setup'.

Now what I am not certain about, why would you wish to convert your RGB doc to CMYK?  Has a printer asked specifically for this?  Or are you printing in-house?  And are you printing to a desktop inkjet?

Microsoft - Like entering your home and opening the stainless steel kitchen door, with a Popup: 'Do you really want to open this door'? Then looking for the dishwasher and finding it stored in the living room where you have to download a water supply from the app store, then you have to buy microsoft compliant soap, remove the carpet only to be told that it is glued to the floor.. Don't forget to make multiple copies of your front door key and post them to all who demand access to all the doors inside your home including the windows and outside shed.

Apple - Like entering your home and opening the oak framed Kitchen door and finding the dishwasher right in front you ready to be switched on, soap supplied, and water that comes through a water softener.  Ah the front door key is yours and it only needs to open the front door.

1 hour ago, md_berlin said:

I have a brochure in Publisher with many placed photos in RGB as JPG. I want to change them to CMYK and TIFF? 

Can you explain a bit about why you want to do that? 

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

Can you explain a bit about why you want to do that? 

I think your approach was better  --  I waffle too much, simple straight to the point is how it should be......that's why my family rarely ask me how to do something.

Microsoft - Like entering your home and opening the stainless steel kitchen door, with a Popup: 'Do you really want to open this door'? Then looking for the dishwasher and finding it stored in the living room where you have to download a water supply from the app store, then you have to buy microsoft compliant soap, remove the carpet only to be told that it is glued to the floor.. Don't forget to make multiple copies of your front door key and post them to all who demand access to all the doors inside your home including the windows and outside shed.

Apple - Like entering your home and opening the oak framed Kitchen door and finding the dishwasher right in front you ready to be switched on, soap supplied, and water that comes through a water softener.  Ah the front door key is yours and it only needs to open the front door.

I produce artwork for offset printing in Germany. I prefer CMYK because the printer prints with these colours and I want to control the values accurately. I prefer 300 dpi TIFF files, even if a 300 dpi CMYK JPG uncompressed file should not give a worse result. In TIFF files, for example, I can implement a clipping path. I would like to change the image size if, for example, I get an 80 MB file, but only need a small image in the brochure.

I would very much like to work only in Publisher. What I also urgently need for my brochures is the possibility to create a picture credits for the imprint from the picture information. That would be very cumbersome by hand with about 100 photos in a brochure.

1 hour ago, md_berlin said:

I prefer CMYK because the printer prints with these colours and I want to control the values accurately.

Thanks.

Are you aware that you can keep your images in RGB and have Publisher do the conversion to CMYK as you export to PDF?

Though I suppose if you do the conversion yourself you can make additional color adjustments before exporting, if needed.

As for JPG vs TIFF: If you're starting with a bunch of JPG images you've already potentially lost some image quality. Converting to TIFF won't get that back.

And as far as using them in Publisher goes, once you've put them into the Publisher file anything you can do with TIFF you can do with JPG, I think.

But, if you have both Publisher and Affinity Photo you can easily use Photo to batch convert your  RGB JPG times to CMYK files. If you don't have Photo you can use other programs to do that.

You'll want to have Photo to do any added photo editing you need, but you'll mostly be able to access it via Publisher's Photo Persona once you start moving the images into your brochure.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

PDF export conversion works well nowadays. That is the simple and clean way to work.

Batch conversion may also work fine and if you have set images as linked they may even update automatically. Though if you change format, possibly not, and repeated saves to JPEG is no-no..

My workflow in InDesign is though to use LinkOptimizer and let it batch convert, scale, sharpen, colour separate and save in subfolder and relink images. Such easy way to handle images.

Many thanks for the numerous useful hints. I will reconsider one or the other step. Nevertheless, there is no possibility in Publisher to select a Photo and choose "Edit with ..." with a right mouse click - that's what I miss.

3 hours ago, md_berlin said:

Many thanks for the numerous useful hints. I will reconsider one or the other step. Nevertheless, there is no possibility in Publisher to select a Photo and choose "Edit with ..." with a right mouse click - that's what I miss.

The equivalent in Publisher is: Select the Photo with the Move Tool and choose Edit Image in the Context Toolbar. That opens it in a new tab or window, and you can then switch to the Photo Persona to do your editing. This works for Linked image files (JPG, TIFF, PNG). When you are done editing and Save the file, the original is updated. Then you close that new window or tab.

Then, depending on the Publisher options you have chosen, you are either prompted to use the Resource Manager to update the image in the Publisher document, or the image updates automatically.

-- Walt
PC: