You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher Bug?

Affinity Publisher keeps crashing when I try to print. Have tried three printers. Occasionally will print perfectly but sometimes crashes as soon as i click print. It is the only program  on my machine that does this. I have an iMac 10.9.5  which I cannot upgrade as I use Adobe CS6 which I am stuck with until I am confident with the Affinity Suite and it works OK. Photo and Designer OK. If I convert to PDF Publisher prints OK. Have attached crash report. Any suggestions. Nothing too technical, I know nothing about programing

Affinity Publisher_2019-06-29-135532_johns-iMac.crash

Thanks for getting in touch Paul. Regarding PDFs  and printing issue. I still use Adobe as I cannot dump CS6 yet. I require press quality PDFs for the commercial printing of a magazine and also "smallest size PDFs of same files for Web. Can I vary the output quality required using Affinity. Also handy if I can convert RGB PDFs to grayscale or can anyone suggest a PDF program similar to Adobe Pro that will work with Mavericks 10.9.5. (no use telling me to upgrade or I will lose CS6 which I need to open old inDesign files).

On 7/9/2019 at 11:46 AM, jonnsin said:

Can I vary the output quality required using Affinity.

Is this meant to be a question? If yes, then, yes, you can vary output quality, regardless whatever quality or using is required.

no use telling me to upgrade or I will lose CS6 which I need to open old inDesign files

Ok, I won't tell you to upgrade. But may I tell you that InDesign CS6 runs charming up to macOS 10.12.6 (Sierra)? If not, don't tell me ;)

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

1 hour ago, thomaso said:

Ok, I won't tell you to upgrade. But may I tell you that InDesign CS6 runs charming up to macOS 10.12.6 (Sierra)? If not, don't tell me ;)

I’m also running ID and PS on High Sierra without serious issues. Get an “unexpected quit” whenever I quit the apps but no effect from that and can’t think of anything else that doesn’t work. Use both every week for numerous things.

I’ve also heard from people running them on Mojave but haven’t dared try that yet. Plus I keep a VM of Sierra in order to use a couple critical apps that stopped working with High Sierra. In that VM, the adobe CS apps also work pretty well. Might be a tish slower but not enough to cause a problem. 

--------------------

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020 i7 72GB) • AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB • macOS Sonoma
MacBook Pro, 13", M1 2020 • 16 GB • macOS Sonoma
iPad Air 2022

Also handy if I can convert RGB PDFs to grayscale

In case you want to export from AfPub as a grayscale PDF:
You can do it by simply select the according greyscale color space and profile export options.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Thanks tomaso for PDF advice – jetz ist alles klar. Still a bit wary of upgrading to Sierra. A friend went from Mavericks to Sierra and Photoshop, inDesign etc went all to hell.

16 hours ago, thomaso said:

Is this meant to be a question? If yes, then, yes, you can vary output quality, regardless whatever quality or using is required.

16 hours ago, thomaso said: