You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity getting sluggish

Affinity staring getting sluggish yesterday when selecting text or element boxes. The time between selection and activation can be 2 or 3 seconds. It just showed up with no reason. Nothing new was added to the system (which is all SSD). Rebooting provides no relief.

The Affinity file size is only 241 mb so that shouldn't be a problem.

I also have open MS Word (copy and pasting to Affinity). I occasionally open Photoshop CC 2019 and ON1 to work on a photo to be placed but they are closed when the processing is done and I have been doing this for the last 10 days without any negative effect. Memory use according to Task Manager seems fine (8 gb on system).

I really like Affinity and I'm testing it by complying a 100 page cookbook for someone. Final size is an estimated 110 pages and I'm about half-way so more potential sluggishness is a concern.

Anyone else seeing this?

I'm about the same size - 110 pages - with 80 in place so far. The sluggishness has mysteriously resolved itself for now but it's not as snappy as it was when  started. I can live with it and hope for an update.

You may have a bad install or something else going on in your system. Publisher has been rock solid so far except for the slowdown.

Here also, a document with 400 A4 pages, only 30 are populated with text and linked pictures.

When typing fi. a sentence, you have to wait a second or 2 to complete this sentence on the screen.

But I love the way Publisher is set up, and connect with photo and designer... So keep up the good work.

BTW i have activated automatic sending of crash reports :)

Agreed, it's a great program and I've retired InDesign. I'd like to see some better docs for the various paragraph controls and what they do and when the are activated. Publisher is a complex program and requires better docs (and not just a hep file). Thing's work just different enough that if someone comes from a different DTP program they can get lost or trapped. A lot of tricks have to be discovered and that's not good.

Otherwise thumbs up!

Edited by MrCourtney

3 hours ago, MrCourtney said:

You may have a bad install or something else going on in your system. Publisher has been rock solid so far except for the slowdown.

It could be my computer, yes. But I haven't had any problems with Affinity Photo or Designer. Ah well, I can live with it for now. Hopefully it goes away again at some point.