You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

After watching the tutorial about the Frame Text tool, I tried adding a fill and/or colored stroke to an existing text frame. I wanted to exactly match a specific color, so I clicked on the eyedropper in the Text Frame tool panel on the right side of the workspace as was shown in the video. Instead of getting the eyedropper, the color was set to black. Moving the cursor out over the document did not provide an eyedropper. I had the same result whether attempting to use it for frame fill or frame stroke.

I'm using MacOS 10.13.6 (High Sierra) and version 1.7.1 of Publsher.

Is this a known issue? 

This eyedropper tool in panels acts a bit different than the eyedropper of tool bar.

If you simply click on it in a pop-up color panel, for instance of the fill color in the text frame panel, then it fills a selected object with the "active" color which is shown before in the tiny color preview circle right to it.

If no object is selected then it does nothing there, or, if you have color sliders visible, then it sets them to the color of the tiny icon.

To use the eyedropper of text frame panel as expected you need to click-HOLD and, still with the mouse button pressed, move around on your monitor. It picks any color underneath, even of UI (panels, bars) and objects of other applications which might be visible behind the Affinity app UI.
If you release the mouse button then it sets this color to the "active" color and with a click again on the eyedropper or on this color in the tiny icon you fill a selected text frame.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1