You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Table thinks it's on master, when it's not

Publisher 1.7.1 on MacOS 10.14.5

I've created a table on a page and it's somehow found its way onto the Master A layer, even though it's not on the master page. This means the table is locked and I can't edit or even delete it.
The problem appeared when I tried to put it inline with the text inside a column (did not work and f*cked up the text instead). Tables seem very buggy so far.

Please advise.

Edit: I've managed to get rid of the table by copying the text, reapplying the master and pasting the text back again. The problem now is that there's a space in the column where the table used to be and I can't get rid of it. It flashes magenta every now and then as if it's a text frame or something, but there's nothing in the layers panel. What's going on here??

Edit 2: Okay, it seems to happen every time. Create a table, place it in a text column. Deselect it. Now it's locked inside the Master group and can't be edited/moved/deleted. This is definitely a bug, and it's just ruined my 30 page document...

Can we see the document or can you recreate the problem in a test document and upload that to the forum?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Inline objects automatically become child layers of the text frame to which they are pinned - that much is a design choice and would not ordinarily be a major concern; however, the fact that the table which should then be treated as part of the frame's content is being locked as if the table itself were a member of the master page is a big problem.

Inline objects should be treated as content and not locked because of their parent layers being on a master page.

I definitely agree that this is either a bug or a design flaw.

I'm still not seeing a problem with moving / editing a table placed inline (or floating) on a text frame inherited from a master page.

Can you upload a sample document where it appears "locked" for you. So we can see how your document is laid out.

(Unless this is a MAC specific bug? I'm on Windows)

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

6 minutes ago, carl123 said:

I'm still not seeing a problem with moving / editing a table placed inline (or floating) on a text frame inherited from a master page.

Can you upload a sample document where it appears "locked" for you. So we can see how your document is laid out.

(Unless this is a MAC specific bug? I'm on Windows)

It might be a Mac thing for all I know. I attached a document where I reproduced the issue. It's on page 12. The steps I took to reproduce were:

1. Create a table

2. put the table in a text frame column, already filled with Lorem Ipsum - resize the table to fit the column

3. set table text wrap to "jump"

4. set table to "inline in text"

5. set table to "float with text"

6. deactivate "float with text".

Now the table is locked inside the master group and it can't be edited, moved or deleted.

I don't know whether or not all the steps above are necessary to reproduce the problem, but it's the steps I took to do it just now.

Green at Heart - Annual Report v1 (table bug).afpub

Ok I think I know what's happening.

When you pin a Table to a text frame derived from a master page the table is moved to a child layer of the text frame inside the page's master page layer structure

When you unpin the Table, the table is no longer a child of the text frame but remains inside the master page layer structure on that page rather than returning it to the page's normal layer structure

The solution is to select the master page layer on page 12, right click and select Edit Detached then drag the Table out of the master page layer structure into page 12's normal layer structure (click the Finish button when done)

PS This also applies to pinning and then unpinning other objects such as shapes and images -  so it could catch a few people out down the line.

1 minute ago, carl123 said:

Ok I think I know what's happening.

When you pin a Table to a text frame derived from a master page the table is moved to a child layer of the text frame inside the page's master page layer structure

When you unpin the Table, the table is no longer a child of the text frame but remains inside the master page layer structure on that page rather than returning it to the page's normal layer structure

The solution is to select the master page layer on page 12, right click and select Edit Detached then drag the Table out of the master page layer structure into page 12's normal layer structure (click the Finish button when done)

PS This also applies to pinning and then unpinning other objects such as shapes and images -  so it could catch a few people out down the line.

Oh my god, I completely forgot about editing detached! That will definitely work!

Thanks for the help!

• 3 weeks later...

This was a life-saver. I just ended up today with a text box that was stuck like this. Publisher 1.7.1, MacOS Catalina beta. I love Affinity products, but am more and more running into problems where I don't understand what's going on and there's no real documentation.