You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Feature Request for Improved SELECTION

I refuse to go to the Adobe Photoshop Subscribe option and keep using Photoshop CS6 and now Affinity Photo, but I can't help learning from youtube videos (PixImperfect for example) that the latest version of PShop CC has a vastly improved Selection Tool powered by AI.  Not only is it more intelligent, but it does a far better job with fine wispy hair.

I really like Affinity Photo, not only because a lot of the interface is similar enough to PShop so I can immediately use Affinity Photo right away, but also because it does some things far better. I won't even mention that Affinity treats customers far better, as clearly evidenced by the affordable price and constant improvements. I recommend Affinity Photo to anyone who listens, and also got the iPad version for myself. 

Topaz Labs has done some amazing things with their AI Gigapix and I would love to see Affinity Photo also begin to use AI to improve many aspects of image editing.

Thanks for the Great Work !

Dan

• 3 months later...

I'm divided on this.

A lot of the "AI" stuff that has been added to photo tools is gimmicky and doesn't work as well as the demos make it appear.

I haven't really looked at the AI selection tool from Photoshop, but I would expect that if Adobe is using AI tech for something in that program, they probably did a good job with it and made it more legit than most of the other stuff that is out there.

If such a tool can be done well in the Affinity products, I certainly do not object to having more powerful tools available, especially for something as potentially transformational as getting clean selections of complex objects such as hair.

However, on the general concept of using AI technology to "improve many aspects of image editing", I would be cautious of getting into the thought pattern of AI being an improvement in general, as it often does not deliver, and for a small team like the one at Serif, with products which are still fairly early in their development, I think they would be better off prioritizing other more important features and the kinds of small improvements that can make a significant difference for users, rather than wasting a lot of time on chasing buzzwords such as "AI" unless there are proven legitimate benefits from a particular use case of it.