You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi,

There is a video Tutorial Affinity Designer - "Shading Using Raster Brushes in Affinity.mp4" on YT (see screenshot). Since I am quite good with curves and shapes illustrations, also with levels, groups and masks, I would like to learn how this actually simple drawing was created. Although I can assign a contour in the panel by printing "different widths, but how does this work with such an ink drawing? How can I attach a skin fold, like an angled thumb, to the seemingly closed curve in the "thumb-palm" plane like a tail? There are several such "T's" in the drawing. Are they part of the curve? I can create the drawing simply with the drawing pencil or the pencil. The variation of line width, if I can draw lines individually, I can do it too. But closing these lines to closed curves so that they can be filled, as I can connect the skin folds so accurately and harmoniously to the outline, as I create the individual forms so precisely that the contours really match exactly, I can not ,

It is, to my knowledge, a video tutorial by Affinty, is there also a video tutorial about the genesis of the drawn hand? Unfortunately I have not been able to find a detailed description or a video about the creation of such a drawing for which you have to draw the object on several levels. I've tried a lot, but actually I'm running out of ideas.
I can tell you what the Tutorial Affinity Designer "Shading Using Raster Brushes in Affinity.mp4" video shows, but how to draw sleeves, hands, individual fingers and skin folds to the necessary levels and then fill the closed curves not me.
Thank you for every hint.

regards
Peter

Google Translator.:)

Es gibt auf YT ein Video Tutorial Affinity Designer "Shading Using Raster Brushes in Affinity.mp4" (siehe Screenshot). Da ich zwar recht gut mit Kurven und Formen Illustrationen, auch mit Ebenen, Gruppen und Masken umgehen kann, würde ich gerne erlernen, wie diese eigentlich einfache Zeichnung erstellt wurde. Ich kann zwar eine Kontur im Panel durch "Druck" unterschiedliche Breiten zuordnen, doch wie funktioniert dies bei so einer Tintenzeichnung? Wie kann ich eine Hautfalte, wie beim abgewinkelten Daumen, an die anscheinend geschlossene Kurve in der Ebene "thumb-palm" wie einen Schwanz anhängen? Es gibt  in der Zeichnung mehrere solcher "T"s. Sind die Teil der Kurve? Die Zeichnung einfach mit dem Zeichenstift oder den Bleistift zu erstellen, kann ich. Die Variation der Strichstärke, wenn ich Linien einzeln zeichnen kann, schaffe ich auch. Doch diese Linien zu geschlossenen Kurven so zu schließen, dass sie gefüllt werden können, wie ich die Hautfalten so genau und harmonisch an dei Umrisslinie anschließen kann, wie ich die einzelnen Formen so exakt erstelle, dass die Konturen wirklich genau übereinstimmen, das kann ich nicht.

Es ist meines Wissens ein Video-Tutorial von Affinty, gibt es über die Entstehung der gezeichneten Hand auch ein Video-Tutorial? Leider konnte ich bisher weder eine ausführliche Beschreibung, noch ein Video über die Entstehung solch einer Zeichnung, für die man das Objekt auf mehrere Ebenen verteilt zeichnen muss, finden. Ich habe einiges versucht, doch eigentlich gehen mir die Ideen aus.
Das, was das Video Tutorial Affinity Designer "Shading Using Raster Brushes in Affinity.mp4" zeigt, kann ich, doch wie man Ärmel, Hand, die einzelnen Finger und die Hautfalten auf die notwendigen Ebenen verteilt zeichnet und dann die geschlossenen Kurven füllt, weiß ich nicht.
Vielen Dank für jeden Hinweis.

Freundliche Grüße
Peter

Hand-Forumfrage.jpg

Hello, SunRiseMoon,

I hope the translator works for this:

My guess is that the lines were made from pen strokes. The strokes had their pressure curves modified to make tapers and swells. Then the pen strokes were "expanded, and added together. Expanding strokes can make shapes w. huge numbers of nodes, but I've found that if the strokes start rather simples, and are smooth, the final curve shape can have not too many nodes.

OwlHead.jpg.855d67d18b1e9c3e3a13f4da420d36e8.jpg

Here is the file. For the fun of doing it, I colored the lines. The fills can be in-painted however on likes.

OwlHead.afdesign

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

Hello gdenby,

Thanks for the answer, it was very informative.

Reading and sometimes hearing english is mostly not difficult, but speaking and writing, especially expressing complex facts, is very is very difficult, rarely does it produce the same result as that of a native English speaker. So I will post it in german an will try to improve a Google-translation. :D

Although I've known to extend contours, I've now realized that actually the path is converted into a shape, so that the contour colour is used as fill colour. A simple and useful method.
In the tutorial posted by me https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPYfh0hc7tA there are two levels, first "Ink", including "colour". The "Ink" layer can be created as you explained very well. How to create the "colour" layer. At 0:50 you can see that this layer contains some curves, "Thumb & Palm", "index", middle-base "" ring "etc. These are closed curves that can be filled with colour.
In your owl drawing, after expanding, the paths become shapes, then how can they be filled with colour, e.g. the eyes blue, the nose green. The eyes originally had a closed curve, the nose did not. how can you fill such areas with colour, if possible within the vector drawing, or is that only possible with many detours in the Pixel Persona?

OwlHead-Fill2.thumb.png.29a5c2712f1b64a05087ef7893c9294f.png
I know no way, from the line drawing in the plane "Ink", which can not be provided because of the conversion of the contours in forms inside with a filling colour, just creates a shape, which then with the colours for hand (yellow) and Sleeve (green) can be filled.
How do you do this?

regards
Peter

Hallo gdneby,

Danke für die ausführliche und informative Antwort. Kontur erweitern habe ich zwar gekannt, doch nun habe ich erkannt, dass eigentlich der Pfad in eine Form gewandelt wird, damit wird die Konturfarbe als Füllfarbe verwendet. Eine einfache und nützliche Methode.
In dem von mir geposteten Tutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPYfh0hc7tA gibt es erkennt man 2 Ebenen, zuerst "Ink", darunter "colour". Die Ebene "Ink" kann so erstellt werden, wie Du sehr gut erklärt hast. Wie wird jedoch die Ebene "colour" erstellt. Bei 0:50 erkennt man, dass diese Ebene einige Kurven enthält, "Thumb & Palm", "index", middle-base" "ring" usw. Das sind geschlossene Kurven, die mit Farbe gefüllt werden können. In der Eulenzeichnung werden nach dem Expandieren die Pfade zu Formen, wie kann man diese dann mit Farbe füllen, z.B. die Augen blau, die Nase grün. Die Augen hatten ursprüngliche eine geschlossene Kurve, die Nase gar nicht. wie kann man solche Bereiche mit Farbe füllen, möglichst innerhalb der Vektorzeichnung, oder geht das nur mit vielen Umwegen in der Pixel Persona?
Ich kenne keinen Weg, aus der Strichzeichnung in der Ebene "Ink", die wegen der Umwandlung der Konturen in Formen im Inneren nicht mehr mit einer Füllfarbe versehen werden kann, eben eine Form erzeugt, die dann mit den Farben für Hand (gelb) und Ärmel (grün) gefüllt werden kann.
Wie macht man dies?

Beste Grüße
Peter

Hello, again.

I'm placing a small explanation and demonstration about this in the tutorials section.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

Hello,

Now I have the drawing of the hand, as seen in the above linked video, drawn in AD. The contours are closed paths, the line width varies with the pressure. Since the parts have to be shapes because of the subsequent processing in the Pixel Persona, the curves were closed, otherwise a filling with color would not be possible. Now there is a group for the contours and a group for the colors.
As you can see from the screenshot, there are contours that should not actually be visible.
How does jemad who draws such comics or the like in AD solve the problem? It only occurs to me to open the closed curves of the contours and to delete disturbing parts.
That would of course, but with a change of the drawing is a very laborious editing!
Does anyone know another workflow?

regards
Peter

Hand-Forumfrage3.thumb.png.a6661768491326075dccd2dc91b4e706.png

German original text

Nun habe ich die Zeichnung der Hand, wie sie im oben verlinkten Video zu sehen ist, in AD gezeichnet. Die Konturen sind geschlossene Pfade, die Strichstärke mit dem Druck variiert. Da die Teile wegen der anschließenden Bearbeitung in der Pixel Persona Formen sein müssen, wurden die Kurven geschlossen, anders wäre ja auch eine Füllung mit Farbe nicht möglich. Nun gibt es eine Gruppe für die Konturen und eine Gruppe für die Farben.
Wie man aus dem Screenshot erkennt, gibt es Konturen, die eigentlich nicht zu sehen sein sollen.
Wie löst jemad, der solche Comics oder ähnliches in AD zeichnet, das Problem? Mir fällt dazu nur ein, die geschlossenen Kurven der Konturen zu öffnen und störende Teile zu löschen.
Das ginge natürlich, doch bei einer Änderung der Zeichnung ist das ein sehr umständliches Editieren!
Kennt jemand einen anderen Workflow?

Beste Grüße
Peter

Hallo,

Nach dem Studium der Fähigkeiten von AD und dem Ansehen ziemlich seriös wirkenden Videos über das Erstellen von eingefärbten Zeichnungen scheint es tatsächlich nur die Möglichkeit zu geben, mit 2 Gruppen oder auch nur Ebenen, eben "Tinte" und "Farbe", zu arbeiten. Es müssen zum Färben alle offenen Kurven geschlossen werden. Ob man dies mit einer Kopie der Zeichnung und dem schließen offener Kurven, oder durch nachträgliches Zeichnen aller erforderlichen Flächen macht, kommt wohl auf das Projekt an und den Zeichner an.

Ich könnte mir jedoch Ergänzungen des Funktionsumfangs für AD vorstellen, die eine starke Vereinfachung, vor allem von nachträglichen, notwendigen Änderungen, bringen würde:

1. Es könnte eine Möglichkeit geben, nach dem Kopieren der Zeichnung alle Knoten der beiden Ebenen oder Gruppen von Ebenen zu verketten, zu verbinden, egal wie man das nennt. Es sollte dann so sein, dass die Positionsänderung eines Knotens oder der Richtung eines Pfads automatisch auf die Kopie übertragen wird.

2. Eine andere Variante wäre die, dass man einzelne Pfade "ohne Kontur darstellen" markieren kann. Damit kann man eine füllbare Fläche erstellen, und trotzdem, falls erforderlich, eine breite Kontur bis zu einem Knoten haben.

Nochmals besten Dank für alle Antworten.
Beste Grüße
Peter

Hopefully improved Google translation:

After studying the abilities of AD and watching pretty serious videos about creating coloured drawings, it actually only seems to be possible to work with 2 groups or even just layers "ink" and "colour". It must be closed for clouring all open curves. Whether you do this with a copy of the drawing and the closing open curves, or by subsequent drawing of all required surfaces, probably depends on the project and the draftsman.

I could, however, imagine additions to the functional scope of AD that would bring about a major simplification, especially of subsequent, necessary changes:

1. There could be a way to concatenate, connect, no matter what you call it, all the nodes of the two layers or groups of layers after copying the drawing. It should then be such that the position change of a node or the direction of a path is automatically transferred to the copy.

2. Another variant would be that you can mark individual paths "without contour". This allows you to create a fillable surface, and still have a wide contour to a node if necessary.

Thanks again for all the answers.
Regards
Peter