You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Users' magazine (not a real one!)

Kasper-V

A week or so back I thought it was high time I applied myself to making use of Publisher. Here's a spoof magazine cover (you'll have to wait a l-o-n-g time for the articles!). I left it a while before I went back to see if it was good to go, or needed any changes. I decided to add the apps' logos -- which I had to make myself in AD; they're vectors, so I can rescale them for future use.
Anyway, see what you make of this. Any helpful criticism is welcome!

IW-Af-User-000.thumb.jpg.0df570e6216542c7bb14945c9667e921.jpg

I don't have any constructive criticism to give (screw all that), I just like the fact that you gave it a go. I've done magazine things myself but they're all jokey-wokey risqué works. Not for this forum. ;)

Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

These are not my own words but I sure like this quote.

2 minutes ago, Kasper-V said:

For some reason the greens are a different shade from the one I posted. How strange.

That's not the first time I've read that since 1.7.

Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

These are not my own words but I sure like this quote.

We had the pleasure of spending a week on IOW and visiting the Needles last year up close. We walked all the way up to the Tennyson monument as well. It's a beautiful island. Would love to return some day.

Like the faux magazine cover, I was wondering about that green choice. ;-)

With the sharp angles and lurid colours, the logo reminded me a little of late-80’s/early-90’s TV programme title sequences for some reason. “Saved by the Bell” perhaps? No, maybe not.
Anyway, I’m wondering what ‘the Island’s second-most-popular Affinity magazine’ looks like. And does it come with a covertape?

The light green is a little less saturated than this: the HSL values are 80, 55, 63. while I've sampled the one in this post with the colour picker as 85, 96, 62 -- quite a difference! I've also posted this on Facebook, which comes out correctly: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10157269862257383&set=gm.1231573193677942&type=3&theater&ifg=1.

I can’t see the Facebook image as I’m not a Facebook user – yes, I’m weird – but putting your HSL values into Designer shows a very different colour (on my non-calibrated/basic screens) than what is on the posted image.
I’ve attached a screen-grab just to see what happens when I post it.

Edit: Yes, quite a difference. Wonder why that happens.

HSL-80-55-63.png

Edited by GarryP

43 minutes ago, GarryP said:

I’m not a Facebook user – yes, I’m weird

No weirder than many millions of us, Garry!

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I can't resist asking .... why £5.27 for the cover price please? Is it random or is there a reason?

Will we get a look at page 24 please?

I like the way that you have included a motif adapted from the Isle of Wight flag behind the name of the magazine.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isle_of_Wight

As a user of Affinity Publisher, I am wondering what are the six exciting projects.

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

William, just looking casually over some of the mags littering my living room floor, I find £4.50, £3.00, £5.45 ... I just thought of a number between Bird Watching and Practical Photography. The 'notched diamond' has been used as a symbol of the Island for quite a while, and the chap who designed the flag simply carried on the tradition. The Council have a rather fanciful version (no doubt designed for a small fortune by a graphic designer) :--

image.png.f45fd41e12c73a4f85131e8c9d8167df.png

The coastline is a bit more complicated than that, of course, with several big chunks missing from the northern sides. (But at least they included the Needles.)

As for the competition and the projects ... I'm afraid you'll just have to wait for the magazine to come out!

2 hours ago, Kasper-V said:

The coastline is a bit more complicated than that, of course, with several big chunks missing from the northern sides.

And the southern ‘point’ of the diamond is very far from actually being pointed (he said pointedly)!

2CD032B2-B460-4E72-BF00-10C531597562.jpeg

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

On 7/2/2019 at 9:11 PM, Kasper-V said:

[...] Any helpful criticism is welcome!

IW-Af-User-000.thumb.jpg.0df570e6216542c7bb14945c9667e921.jpg

• Too many fonts! Try  reducing to 2-3 fonts (including styles, header can be treted as logo, so it doesn't count). If you need more emphasis on something use rather color or size instead of another font
  • While background image is pretty it has very vague connection with content. Not really criticism here, just observation.
  • Colors are very aggresive and not really fitting togheter - they make something I call visual puke ;) If you struggle with palette, there's a lot of  online tools which will help you
  • Margins, aligments etc. - why text about competition is far closer to edge than icons on left? Same goes for top and bottom, and few other places
  • Be consistent - if you decide that background for text frames is green, use same green for most of them. Reserve different color for something special, that should pop
  • Text kerning, spacing, leading, size - Well... it's wrong in too many places. Let's just say that "justify  all" isn't always best solution. Also pink titles on left - remove line break in top one. It's just one place, and disturbs spacing in whole block.

General advice is to stick with established rules  and be consistent - use same style for all similiar elemnts.

And remember - rules can be broken to achieve extraordinary results, bu ONLY if you master working within their limits first

Are you inviting submissions of articles? No fee payable, just for the experience and learning of the way that someone can send in an article produced using an Affinity product and how it can become incorporated in a magazine, if accepted.

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

38 minutes ago, William Overington said:

Are you inviting submissions of articles?

Goodness me, no, William! I'd have to actually put the magazine together if I did, which is way outside my expertise -- not to mention my comfort zone! But I see no reason why you shouldn't post such submissions to this forum. For that matter, Affinity Spotlight might accept them for publication.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/5/2019 at 5:25 AM, gabriel_komorov said:
  • Too many fonts! Try  reducing to 2-3 fonts (including styles, header can be treted as logo, so it doesn't count). If you need more emphasis on something use rather color or size instead of another font
  • While background image is pretty it has very vague connection with content. Not really criticism here, just observation.
  • Colors are very aggresive and not really fitting togheter - they make something I call visual puke ;) If you struggle with palette, there's a lot of  online tools which will help you
  • Margins, aligments etc. - why text about competition is far closer to edge than icons on left? Same goes for top and bottom, and few other places
  • Be consistent - if you decide that background for text frames is green, use same green for most of them. Reserve different color for something special, that should pop
  • Text kerning, spacing, leading, size - Well... it's wrong in too many places. Let's just say that "justify  all" isn't always best solution. Also pink titles on left - remove line break in top one. It's just one place, and disturbs spacing in whole block.

General advice is to stick with established rules  and be consistent - use same style for all similiar elemnts.

And remember - rules can be broken to achieve extraordinary results, bu ONLY if you master working within their limits first

Solid advice. I’ve also taken a screen shot. You are the Simon Colwell of Affinity :4_joy: