You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Keep curve shape when removing/deleting anchorpoints

Would be nice if the curve would stay in a kind of estimated shape when anchor points are deleted. 

Glyphs.app has this killer feature.  I've been missing that from Illustrator forever and it could set AF Designer even more in front.

In this video at 1:41

cheers

Benny

___♥___
| | |    | | |

This is already possible.

Windows: Ctrl + Alt + Backspace

Mac: Alt + Delete (I think, but don't have a Mac to test it!)

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

46 minutes ago, Aammppaa said:

This is already possible.

Windows: Ctrl + Alt + Backspace

Mac: Alt + Delete (I think, but don't have a Mac to test it!)

Kind of.

• Create a circle (using circle shape tool), select a node, 
    • Delete the the node with DEL, ugly shape
    • Undo, CTRL + Alt + Backspace... same ugly shape
  • Directly after this adjust the two middle nodes to re-create the circle shape
    • Delete the the node with DEL, shape almost intact
    • Undo, CTRL + Alt + Backspace... shape almost intact

So... how often it does a great job, I don't know. But thanks @Aammppaa - I did not know about this trick in AD.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

Bear in mind: What's "great" in one scenario can be quite undesirable in another.

Trying to "preserve" the existing path shape when deleting a node may be arguably more desirable when drawing font glyphs than when doing other kinds of illustration. But, of course, unless one is just sloppy about drawing paths with too many needless nodes, it is often not even possible for the path to keep the same shape (or even anything "close" to it) when deleting a node. So you have to go back and re-adjust the remaining handles anyway, which is also depicted in Benny's video.

Users of (gag me) auto-trace features no doubt like to have the program try to maintain the current shape when deleting nodes. To me, that's like using a crutch on a crutch. A more legitimate use is for converting polylines imported from CAD exports into more sensible Bezier curves. That's more of what "path smoothing" features are for.

As a general rule, I don't want the program "helping me" as if I don't know what I'm doing with curve handles I've already positioned. I'm more often deleting a node because I want the resulting difference in the path shape, and I don't want the program messing with handles I've already carefully placed. That's why such behaviors need to be deliberately invoked with optional keyboard modifiers.

JET